Question

1) Vault Tracker ; 2) Best Way to Determine when a Tape should be exported ; 3) BigData/Index backups affecting Vault Tracker

• 12 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

HI

I have 12 Different Storage Policies writing ‘1st Full of the Month’  backups (via Selective Copy) to the same Storage Pool Copy

1st full of the Months (depending upon (clients/subclients) are typically started and finish within the first 15 days of the month.

All subclients run incrementals on a daily basis

At the moment I’m using the ‘Aux every 30 minutes’ schedule

And the the VT criteria ‘ Last write older than 5 Days

A few Questions

• Given the setup above, the BigData Index backups run as a full every day on many clients
    • and they get written to Tape every day (ie they over ride the ‘1st Full of the Month’ to tape rule, and copy themselves to tape every day (as the Aux copy is running every 30 mins) , and as such the Tape never reaches a point where no writes have occurred for 5 Days 
    • I could use Associations on the Aux Copy to filter them out (have done this on other projects, it just tends to get messy after a while)

• Would I be better off setting a fixed ‘once per month’ schedule - possibly a unique ‘once per month’ schedule for each Storage Policy
    • That way I’d solve the BigData/Index ‘issue
    • Its not ideal, as I’d ‘like’ what ever data is ready to be written to tape to be written as soon as possible (the benefit of the 30 min Aux internal), 

• or is here something else that could be done
    • I’d prefer not to deal with triggered scripts on a job basis

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m curious if there is a specific reason to export media not written for 5 days?

For the most part, I think folks either export media weekly or monthly and have a rotation that way. No writes for 5 days seems like an interesting criteria - what is the benefit to you over say, a weekly export.

I’m sure I’m missing something but perhaps if I understand the rationale we could think of an alternative solution!

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Damien

Here’s a brief outline of the goal (Happy to add more detail)

(VT = Vault Tracker)

Ideally, I'd like to achieve a 'Once per Month' / Beginning of the Month VT managed copy(copies) to Tape, under a single Tape Storage Pool (ie Tape Global Secondary Copy policy)

This might help

(SP=Storage Policy)

SP-A

Primary

A-Copy-To-Beginning-of-Month-Tape

SP-B

Primary

B-Copy-To-Beginning of Month-Tape

SP-C

Primary

C-Copy-To-Beginning of Month-Tape

In the above, all Aux's to Tape use the same single Tape Storage Pool, which retains the Full for 24 months

SP-A, B and C, also manage different subclients, with different primary to disk (and other AUx to disk) retentions

Assume all  Fulls take place on the first Friday  of the Month

If we assume

• Tuesday = 1st of the Month
  • Friday = 4th and 'a 55 different' subclients start their Full backups on the 
  • Most fulls finish by Sunday 6th, but occasionally one Subclient runs till Monday the 7th

Policy for Selective to tape is the First Full of the Month

What I'm trying to achieve is to

a) Get all Fulls from the 55 Subclients on to VT 'managed' tape

b) Have the Tape (or Tapes) auto exported

c) Have a single report generated so the operator goes to the Tape Library 'once' for the exports

More than happy to assume

that all Full Backups finish within 4 days of the Friday full commencing

and that all Fulls to tape would complete in (say) 5 days

and to have - if necessary - a fixed date the VT report is generated/emailed out to be the 18th of the month

I’m happy to use any criteria method to achieve the above