Solved

Add Exchange Index Server Node

• 7 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi, currently i am using Commserve version 11.24.48 and i have settings for add the exchange index node. i have already have one server running with 4TB HDD for index only. Let say i add another node and have same spec as the first one. 

For just a confirmation, is there the load balancing will move the existing index data at first node to new node?
if i did not select the load balancing, is there it will keep the own index data itself? 

Also is i will face any issue on current index data if i add new index server with load balancing enable.
Any suggestion before i perform this add node into existing system to prevent any data lost? 

Appreciate advice from expertise. Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 8 October 2022, 01:29

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Index Server Cloud is used to provide HA by using an HAC cluster and an Index Store Pool:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/97592_index_server_cloud.html

This solution will provide fail over to another replica when a node fails thus keeping the index online.

Another solution would be to add a node to the index server config resulting in load balancing for future clients to be added:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/132052_adding_node_to_index_server.html

This is not a HA solution, in case of a node failure you need to fix the node or reinstall the node and restore the index data when back online.

A few topics I am not sure of though:

• Can an existing index server be converted to a index server cloud config.
  • Will the index server cloud config provide load balancing over the index nodes just as it would when you just add nodes to an index server.
  • As you have the exchange client already configured, will this give you what you are looking for as only new clients will be load balanced over the index servers, existing clients on the first index node will remain there and are not redistributed.

Another though I am having is, if these options cant provide what you are looking for and you would actually need a new index server cloud to replace the current index server to provide initial HA and Load balancing. Would it be possible to perform a restore of the index data taken from a single index server and restore it to an Index Server Cloud config resulting in distribution of index over the nodes.

A lot of idea's on your topic, but never had the chance / need to test scenario's.
Hopefully someone else in community has the experience on the actual outcome of such scenario's or maybe a completely different take on the matter.
Otherwise it is advised to take this up with support to define a proper strategy.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Jos Meijer Thanks for your reply. yet i am still looking for more detail on this to avoid the downtime for the exchange index. If anyone already test this scenario and have more experience are most welcome to share their ideas.