Question

Adding media agents and making existing ones read-only

• 2 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hi all-

I’m in the process of (slowly) migrating over to server 2019 and the first step I’d like to do is add 2019 media agents to my existing environment.  Is there some way to make the existing 2012 MAs some sort of read-only mode so that jobs that still need info from them can complete correctly, while the 2019 MAs start taking over the majority of the work?  I’d then decomm the 2012 ones all completely.  No dedupe is done on the MAs so it’s just the index drives.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Austin Parker,

Yes, this is possible. We’ll need to perform three things here:

1. Provide access for the 2019 MA(s) to read/write from the applicable disk libraries (Commcell Console > Commcell Browser > Libraries > Select intended disk library > Right-click mount path > Share Mount Path). I’m assuming they’re hosted by the 2012 MA(s) so it may be easiest to share these to the 2019 MA(s) via network shares or DataServer-IP
  2. Modify existing storage policy copies so that the 2012 MA(s) are removed and that the 2019 MA(s) are the default (only MA(s) listed under the Data Paths tab)

If you require assistance with the above tasks, we can assist through a remote session if a support ticket is created. Please let me know if you have any further queries/concerns.

Kind regards,

Jon Vengust

Badge +2

Jon-

All of the mount paths are added and I’m also updating the interface pairs on each client, but I’m getting this in the meantime and no jobs will use the new media agents:

Access Path [\\192.168.237.57\SP_PDC2_EXAGRID07] on MediaAgent [cv-ma02] for MountPath [[tpa-ma01] \\192.168.237.57\SP_PDC2_EXAGRID07] in library [PDC-Exagrid] is offline.

And the four new media agents under “share mount path” show as “No” under the Accessible column. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @Austin Parker 

Please recheck the GDB, SP, Copy properties. Carefully examine them. There is probably misconfiguration which is the reason for error reported. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Make sure the new Media Agents do have access to the Exagrid Share, if they are not whitelisted they will get denied access.

Badge +2

Yeah they weren’t whitelisted on Exagrid but are now, but I’m still having the issue.  I’ve opened a case with support.  I’ll let everyone know results here for future searches.

Badge +2

Hi all-

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/networking/guest-access-in-smb2-is-disabled-by-default

I had to apply the reg fixes mentioned and now all is working as it should.  Thanks everyone for the help.