Solved

After CommServe Hardware refresh, Content Extractor and Data Analytics Services won't start

• 31 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi,

After a Hardware refresh (SP24 MR 69) from Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2019 (including a database upgrade from SQL Server 2014 SP3 to SQL Server 2019), the Content Extractor and Data Analytics services won’t start.

As a temporary workaround, I can make them start if I change the ‘Log On As’ from Network Service to Local System, but I would like to recover the default behavior. When I restart the services with this workaround, they get their default values back as I would expect (Network Service as Log On As).

I was wondering if any of you had a similar problem and have suggestions on how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 1 November 2022, 04:21

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @LukeBrett,

The likely reason is that the required folders that the services need to access no longer have the network service account permissions. There is a KB on this that may help:

https://kb.commvault.com/article/54391

This is not an exhaustive folder list although may help. Alternatively you could use procmon on the services to see which folders it is trying to access and is denied, then apply the network service user to those folders.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @Damian Andre, thank you for your answer. Actually, the following folder “\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\iDataAgent\JobResults\DM2CacheDir\PreviewIndex\Cache” was missing.

I created the folder with the right permissions and added the following missing registry key (REG_Z) : “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CommVault Systems\Galaxy\Instance001\ContentAnalyzer\ContentPreviewTempOutputDir” with the folder path as the data value.

This solved the problem of the Content Extractor service. I’m now working on the Analytics service, I’ll keep you updated!

Thanks again!