Solved

Agentless Restore Browse is slow

• 30 September 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Is it possible to make the agentless restore “Browse Files” process faster? It’s so slow that it takes longer to find the files than it does to restore them.

icon

Best answer by Pratik Rana 12 October 2021, 17:42

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @AA_Ron , hope all is well and welcome!

I moved your reply to its own thread so we can track and solve your concern better.

I’ll get some of our internal folks to assist.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Which agent is this for? What service pack are you running? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@Aplynx This is for agentless VMware Guest File restores. We are running: Version = 11.22.36

I spend a lot of time waiting for this screen to populate, especially on systems with many files or even with fewer files when said files are large.

Loading… *elevator music*

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi,

1. Do you have Windows Defender turned on (perhaps without proper Commvault exclusions) or any other real time protection (e.g. Symantec endpoint) on the Media Agent or Proxy which is involved in browsing or reading from media?
  1. Was the slowness observed only after a particular Commvault software upgrade?

Thanks

Badge +5

@AA_Ron    The Agentless browse has to pseudo mount the Extents in order to present you with the file structure.  As previously mentioned AV could be scanning that while we are performing and that could add time.  The Pseudomount is located under the job results folder, if the drive(HDD) that location is on has high disk queue lengths that could add to the issue. Also having more free space might help with less pruning of the extents top make room for new extents. Just some other caveats to review.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@AA_Ron    The Agentless browse has to pseudo mount the Extents in order to present you with the file structure.  As previously mentioned AV could be scanning that while we are performing and that could add time.  The Pseudomount is located under the job results folder, if the drive(HDD) that location is on has high disk queue lengths that could add to the issue. Also having more free space might help with less pruning of the extents top make room for new extents. Just some other caveats to review.

I understand the process that occurs with the pseudomount. I will check disk queue depth stats and free space to see if I can do anything to speed things up. Thank you for the ideas.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi,

1. Do you have Windows Defender turned on (perhaps without proper Commvault exclusions) or any other real time protection (e.g. Symantec endpoint) on the Media Agent or Proxy which is involved in browsing or reading from media?
  1. Was the slowness observed only after a particular Commvault software upgrade?

Thanks

1. McAfee Endpoint Protection is installed on the MA and the FREL. The MA is Windows Server 2016/2019 (I do not manage it); the FREL is RHEL8.
  2. It has always been and still is slow. The CV software versions does not matter.

@Pratik Rana 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Have we placed CV folders and Staging area used during live browse as exclusions to McAfee Endpoint configuration?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Have we placed CV folders and Staging area used during live browse as exclusions to McAfee Endpoint configuration?

Probably not. I can talk to our ePO admins. Would you happen to have a list of exclusions we need to set or a link to the documentation for the same?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/8665_recommended_antivirus_exclusions_for_windows.html