Solved

anyone notice increase in cluster failover time after installing the commvault agent?

• 5 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

We’ve a couple of windows sql clusters (2012/2019) and noticed that failover time increases from a few seconds (max 10-15) to at least a minute once the commvault cluster agent is added to the cluster.

I’ve opened a case on this but would like to hear if anyone else out here has experienced this…

best regards

Mirco

icon

Best answer by Mirco Drick 20 October 2022, 14:44

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Mirco Drick 

This is not common. Have you noticed anything in the Windows system or application log pointing to the service(s) that are causing the delay?

Sometimes we do see applications like AV scanning causing issues with services including Commvault.

Badge +2

no - unfortunately nothing we could pinpoint so far. And it’s not antivirus ;-) same result with antivirus on and off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Any idea if it started after installing a Commvault feature/maintenance release? Which version are you running now?

Badge +2

on the old system this was only noticed some time after commvault was installed, so hard to say if it was present from start or introduced later on with a specific release/hotfix. On the new system we are running latest 11.28 and we can clearly say everything was fine before commvault was added and disabling the commvault agent in the cluster also results in normal failover times.

What I’ve so far found with the commvault engeneer looking at this with me is a suspicious 30 second gap in the cvclusternotify.log log, once on the node shutting down and the same again on the other node where the service is starting up:

6544 1688 22/10/05 12:22:55.741 ::ExecuteAndWait() Created process ID 5684 and waiting for completion
6544 1688 22/10/05 12:23:26.173 ::ExecuteAndWait() Process 5684 done with error code 0

hopefully we find more when increasing debug level...

Badge +2

hi all,

commvault has provided us with a hotfix that has resolved the problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

hi all,

commvault has provided us with a hotfix that has resolved the problem.

@Mirco Drick can you share the hotfix id and do you know which maintenance release will contain the fix?

Badge +2

@Onno van den Berg hotfix id is 2648 which apparently has been ported from a fix for another customer running 11.26. I’ve asked for when this will be added to a maintenance release. will add that once I get an update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Onno van den Berg hotfix id is 2648 which apparently has been ported from a fix for another customer running 11.26. I’ve asked for when this will be added to a maintenance release. will add that once I get an update.

Based on the number I would say it will be part of the next FR29 maintenance release.