Solved

Archive backup from local Commserve on tapes to AZURE.

• 21 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello, 

One of our client has Archive backup on tapes which is configured in one location and that type of infra is managed by local Commserve server. There is a question about the possibility of migration that Archive backup to AZURE. 

In the end client would like to get all archive backup in AZURE cloud with possibility of manage the backup from Commserve in AZURE cloud which is a different machine (Global solution for organization). 

And my question what will be the best approach for that migration and how to calculate the storage usage in AZURE for that migration process? 

Regards, 

Michal 

icon

Best answer by christopherlecky 4 May 2022, 13:47

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Michal128 , take a look at this document:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/97276_migrating_data_to_microsoft_azure_using_azure_data_box.html

This covers the process of migrating backed up data to an azure blob.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Michal128 You can do an Aux Copy of the data from the tape library to the Azure library.  We do not have any tools within Commvault that would calculate the storage space needed.  The vendor may have some tools to help with that calculation, otherwise you could contact our Professional Services department which can help you calculate the what your needed storage in Azure would be.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello,

Thanks for the answers. I think that use possible of Auxiliary Copy can’t be performed. because Archive data on tapes is on deferent Commserve. Destination Cloud storage is manage by Commserve which is in AZURE. 

I have another question how is working Archive storage in AZURE for Commvault usage ?  I heard that if type storage choose for example (Cool/Archive) Commvault will automatically manage which type of blocks can be migrate to Archive type storage. I would like to know more details about that process how Commvault recognizes and manages the  data between the type storages. 

Regards, 

Michal     

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Michal128 , if the data is from another CommCell and you want to integrate those clients, you’d need to do a CommCell migration:

This might be beyond what you are looking to do, but it’s potentially an option.

As far as tier management, here’s a document that will get you started:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/43215_tiered_storage_for_extended_retention_using_cloud_libraries.html

Let us know if you have any questions!

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello Mike, 

I am not sure if the info is included in the document what I am looking for. Thanks for advisory. 

I am not looking for simple migration to AZURE storage in boundary of one Commserve.  But migration backup from local infrastructure (Local Commserve + Local Media Agent + Tape library = long term retention backup) to AZURE where we have a cloud infrastructure (Cloud Commserve + Cloud Media Agent + Cloud Library).  

One of idea is restore all VM’s and File system backup to AZURE and backup the data one more time in the cloud. But currently we have on tapes 400 TB of data and that process can consumed months of time to perform that process, so that the reason, why I try to find out another approach for that migration. 

To the end we would like to get all infra in the cloud without any data locally, to remove local physical hardware. 

Regards, 

Michal 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for the extra context!

Before we can continue, I need one distinction confirmed:

Is the data that exists now on a different CommCell than you want to move it to?  If the answer is yes, then you will need to do a CommCell migration (assuming you want to move the clients AND all of their history over).

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello Mike, 

I am not sure if the info is included in the document what I am looking for. Thanks for advisory. 

I am not looking for simple migration to AZURE storage in boundary of one Commserve.  But migration backup from local infrastructure (Local Commserve + Local Media Agent + Tape library = long term retention backup) to AZURE where we have a cloud infrastructure (Cloud Commserve + Cloud Media Agent + Cloud Library).  

One of idea is restore all VM’s and File system backup to AZURE and backup the data one more time in the cloud. But currently we have on tapes 400 TB of data and that process can consumed months of time to perform that process, so that the reason, why I try to find out another approach for that migration. 

To the end we would like to get all infra in the cloud without any data locally, to remove local physical hardware. 

Regards, 

Michal 

I would go with what @Mike Struening suggests.

what you are attempting to do in the way you are attempting to do it would be arduous and time consuming.

just to be clear, if your clients are isolated you can do some version of the client migration where the clients themselves are not contacted and only their data is moved. Essentially you would be importing client and job metadata.

you could then use that metadata to consolidate to queue an enormous tape copy to Azure.

hell you could speed up the process by going to one of those dr companies where you can rent bandwidth and a tape library.

ship all the tapes to the location with a rented LTO library with 2000 slots, kick off the copy and get paid to babysit a tape drive. 
As noted by @Orazan the actual work is in the math.