Solved

archiving on tapes

• 13 July 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Hello,

a new customer that asks for legal hold and archiving for 10 years some data.

I sugggest a new Commvault solution

the site is composed of one active/active VMware cluster splitted on 2 rooms.

1 HPE storeOnce on each room to store backups.

1 commserve, 2 physical linux media agents (SAN transport mode)

he also have an LTO7 maybe a standalone tape :) :) :)  and he want to archive backup for for example 10 years and keep the tape on secure zone.the issue

I am not very familiar with tapes, any help would be appreciated.

to be honest I doubt that a standalone tape drive can do long term/legal archiving :) :) :)

Thanks !

icon

Best answer by Amey Shevtekar 19 July 2021, 16:15

View original

8 replies

Badge

Bloopa, 

can you please provide details of the tape Library like how many drives in the library, hardware etc.

Thanks,

Savitha

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

@Savitha  sure as soon as possible !

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Hi @Savitha 

Below the drive details.

They want direct to tape backup

Type

HPE MSA 2024 

Drives

LTO7

Capacity

24 Cardridge

Connection

FC 8Gb

LAN connectivity

1 IP on Management Network

Also I had another information from the customer, he wants to make direct to tape backup for legal purpose. 

I see an issue there, because the storeonce make the deduplication, the data sent to the tape will not be deduplicated and it will consume a lot of license. Is that right ?

Thanks !

Badge

Bloopa, 

Can you please provide information how storeOnce is configured

Is it a VTL or NAS or Catalyst?

the data sent to the tape will not be deduplicated and it will consume a lot of license. Is that right ?”

* Are you referring to a physical standalone tape drive or can you clarify further?

Thanks,

Savitha

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Hi, @Savitha  Storeonce are configured with catalyst functionnality. dedup and compression is handled by storeonce. auxiliary copy to the second room is handled by commvault. There is no dedup database on mediaAgents. Mediaagents has FC cards that are zoned with netapp storage to allow san transport mode, and also zoned with tape library.

the data sent to the tape will not be deduplicated and it will consume a lot of license. Is that right ?”

* Are you referring to a physical standalone tape drive or can you clarify further?

sorry now, the customer answer that he has a hpe msa tape autoloader with 24slots. for the dedup I am not sure that we can enable dedup with direct to tape without DDB on Mediaagents. Customer has full license with 40TB FET.

thanks a lot !

Badge

Bloopa,

We are checking this configuration internally , we will get back as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Savitha

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Bloopa,

We are checking this configuration internally , we will get back as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Savitha

Thank you, I will wait for your feedback. Maybe if I will suggest to the customer to backup to disk on StoreOnce (primary copy)

then secondary copy to StoreOnce in site B

then make an auxiliary copy to tape.

Regards,

Badge +1

Hello Bloopa,

Storage policy with Primary copy with HP SToreonce catalyst device as the library will work with archiving client with archiveset.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/99422_hpe_storeonce_catalyst_library.html

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/25799_windows_file_system_archiving.html

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/111874_creating_new_archive_set_for_archiving_for_windows_file_system.html

Secondary copy to regular tape library will work for above storage policy.

However auxcopy will not run if secondary copy is created to the NAS attached tape library.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/14083_copy_properties_general.html

Within a NAS storage policy, if the primary copy is using a NAS-attached drive pool, then any secondary copies within that storage policy can use either a NAS-attached drive pool, or a MediaAgent-attached library. However, all storage policy copies using NAS-attached drive pools, must always read from a storage policy copy using NAS-attached drive pools.

Please let us know if you/customer have any more questions.

Thanks,

Amey