Question

Assignig devices to plans

• 1 June 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi,

There is an option to assign users or users group to a plan, but recently customer made a case that they are more device-centric then user-centric when it comes to assigning new devices to employees. They asked if it’s possible to assign devices to plans based on hostnames rather then users/owners. I would really want to help here, but I’m not aware of such option. Please let me know if it’s possible or not.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Robert Horowski,

Yes it might be possible using smart client groups - I know you could assign a storage policy (which should be akin to a plan in the Java UI) in client groups and have a rule on the group to discover by hostname?

Can’t check the docs right now as it is having some issues but I think that would be the way.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Damian Andre 

Didn’t thought to crunch it from that side, but that might be useful.

I also found something in docs which can be used during silent install, there is an installer parameter /plan <plan_name> which should assign device to a desired plan, but as docs state it won’t assign any owner, so it’s possible we would need to run an REST API request later to do that.

I will discuss this with customer and see what would be the best option for them.

Thanks!