Question

auto assign various tape media into Media Groups by barcode patterns

• 22 November 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi

Is it possible to auto assign media to specific (spare) Media Group pools base on barcode numbering

Even if ‘auto assignment’ is not possible, then when manually discovering media (eg for a single piece of unassigned/free media), can the ‘system’ not auto recognise the destination scratch pool base on barcode ranges

(Barcode ranges and patterns have been setup under media management)

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @YYZ 

You can setup Barcode Patterns and then associate the Pattern to a Scratch Grou via the Scratch Group Properties. This will associate certain barcodes to their respective Storage Pools.

Media Management Configuration Parameters - https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/11013_media_management_configuration_parameters.html

Media Management Configuration: Barcode Patterns - https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/11016_media_management_configuration_barcode_patterns.html

Thank you,
Collin

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Thanks Colin

That part of the setup is done

What's not happening is:

If I load 20 Tapes, the tapes are not ‘automatically’ being assigned to the correct Media Group according to their barcode

It appears there's still the need to ‘manually’ move the Tapes from default scratch to another ‘scratch’ media group

eg If I have tapes

AAA001

AAA002

BBB001

BBB003

I create two spare Media Groups “AAA-Group” and “BBB-Group” and I also have the default Scratch group

I set the barcode rules under media management

I load the tapes into the library - I would then hope  AAA001/002 are auto assigned to Media Group AAA-Group etc. - Its this bit that still ‘seems’ to require the Tapes to be manually ‘moved’ from default scratch to either AAA-Group or BBB-Group

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @YYZ 

If you’ve configured it and its not working it may be best to open a case with Support to verify everything was setup correctly.

Thank you,
Collin

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Thanks Colin

By any chance, would you know if the barcode patterns can accept RegEx 

Or whether there are restrictions on the ‘Begins with’ field

I’ve only populated Begins with the Alpha prefix fields of barcode strings and used the range range for numeric ‘suffix’

Happy to take this up with support if easier, but if you had a note to hand, that would be great

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @YYZ 

I cannot say I’ve seen anyone use RegEx for Barcodes and am not sure the software would accept it. You can try and see if you run into issues.

Thank you,
Collin

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

I've had support take a look and there's likely a bug

1. Media will not auto assign correctly when discovering is run from 
    1. Storage Resources
      1. Libraries
        1. and the RIGHT CLICK the library
          1. select DISCOVER MEDIA

But from EXPERT STORAGE CONFIGURATION

making ‘your way’ to the library and running DISCOVER MEDIA

---then all the media are accurately assigned to their correct Media Groups based on their predefined barcodes!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @YYZ 

Thank you for the update. I hope Support and Development are able to resolve the bug for you.

Thank you,
Collin