Solved

Automatic group for successful VM backup clients

• 7 February 2022
  • 11 replies

Badge +2

Is it possible to create an automatic updated group of clients which have had successful VM backups. The members would be the VMs not the VMware cluster.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 12 July 2022, 22:01

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi @Norms 

We can achieve something similar with the below:
- From the Commcell Console navigate to Client Computer Groups > Right Click > New Group
- Change the radio button to “Automatic Association”
- Set the scope to “clients in this commcell”
- You can try previewing the results with the rules as found in my screenshot or adjust them further to your liking
-- For the third rule I selected the desired subclient containing the vm’s I wanted to associate with this group

Additional info on the smart client groups and the available rules is found here:
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/4894_smart_client_computer_groups_using_automatic_association_overview.html
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/4907_rules_available_for_smart_client_computer_groups.html

Badge +2

This works to get the VM clients, however the days since last backup seems to be reporting on the filesystem agent and not VM backup. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This works to get the VM clients, however the days since last backup seems to be reporting on the filesystem agent and not VM backup. 

Do the VMs protected with VSA have file systems backups too?

Badge +2

Yes @Damian Andre  they also have file system backups.

Here is what I am trying to achieve, I want to use the Windows update workflow to patch servers but I need to verify that I have a good VM backup before I execute the update. I want to create a group that has VMs backed up in the last 24 hours and use that to feed the workflow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Norms , hope all is well.

Following up on old threads.  Were you able to get a solution to this issue?

If I understand correctly, the challenge is that FS backups are successful, and therefore marking the client as ‘backed up’ even though the vm level backup has not completed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Norms , following up here, were you able to get any solution here?  It sounds like the function does not exists and would potentially be a solid CMR.

Is this something you’d want to pursue?  If so, I would advise creating an incident with support to have the request submitted to dev for approval.

If you do, please share the case number and CMR with us here.

Badge +2

I will be raising a ticket for this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks, @Norms !  Keep me posted 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Norms , gentle follow up on this one.

Were you able to get a support case created (or solution on your own)?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I found the case and see it is in dev status.  I’ll keep an eye on it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Looks like this will be in FR28:

Development have understood the request I initially sent up using those sample clients and explained that there is a new smart group rule added in Commvault 11.28 called "Clients backed up using VSA subclient":

This should give you the behaviour you are after and not include the VMs that have successful in guest file system agent backups that ran successfully.