Solved

AWS Combined Storage and V2 Index Backup Jobs

• 1 August 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

Hey all,

I have just implemented some AWS Combined Tier copies for LTR data to move away from data being retained Long Term on Standard Tier.  Everything working as expected and looks to be tiering fine.  The V2 Index backups get selected to the new copies which I believe from the documentation it is meant to do when more than one copy is available.  My question is however do/should these ‘Big Data Apps’ jobs get tagged to the Standard-IA tier as under most circumstances (3 index backup copies available criteria has been met), the jobs will age off in a short period breaking the minimum retention for the class.  From the view I get in the Cloud Explorer Tool it does seem to be held on ‘Standard-IA’ but I can’t find any specific reference or confirmation in Documentation. 

Just wondering if anyone knows/can confirm.

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by Collin Harper 1 August 2022, 19:29

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @G.lee 

For Combined Tier Storage we keep Index and Metadata in the hot tier for easy and fast access. Data blocks are transferred to the Archive Tier to save on costs and only retrieved only when needed for a restore.

Combined Storage Tierhttps://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/139246_combined_storage_tier.html

Key Benefits

Combined Storage tier is recommended as it has the following key benefits:

• Restores using Browse and Restore occur faster, with no index recall delay.

• Index data can be managed (created, removed) without early deletion charges. (Note that Index data does not follow storage policy retention, so it can be aged sooner.)

• Recalls are faster on Combined Storage Tier, as the metadata (index and deduplication metadata) resides in the warmer tier. As a result, only one pass for data recall is initiated from the Archive tier.

Thank you,
Collin