Question

AWS - Commvault Tags

• 2 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +6

Hi All, We are still new with the CV / AWS implementation and have a few questions on how CV handles tagging.

AWS – Commvault Install – 11.28.36

Issue: Our AWS/Applications support groups are working on multiple automation and has ran into an issue with tags that Commvault creates.  Some of the automation doesn’t know what to do with these tags that Commvault has left behind.

Questions:

• What are these tags used for during backup?
  • How long are these tags kept?
  • Does Commvault delete these tags?
  • If these tags are deleted by the automation, will there be any issues?

Any thought on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chuck

7 replies

Badge +6

Yes those are the tags we are referring to.  If they can avoid deleting I would prefer.  You all gave me a wealth of knowledge.  Thank you all.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Damian is on point as usual here…and the tags that we place are normally highlighted by the Change Block Tracking snapshot that gets retained after a backup operation. We don’t leverage these in any form of inventory check but they are placed to provide information as to where it came from. Are you referring to these tags?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @ChuckC 

I wanted to defer to my resident expert, but I believe this to be true and will work to verify:

• What are these tags used for during backup?

The tags are a convenience to notify the application (or VM) owner when last the VM was protected. It should include the job ID as well as time of last protection

• How long are these tags kept?

As far as I know, indefinitely

• Does Commvault delete these tags?

I do not believe they are ever deleted, but they would be modified on each job with an updated jobID and timestamp

• If these tags are deleted by the automation, will there be any issues?

I don't believe so, its a convenience option so that you dont have to dive into the Commvault consoles to determine when last the VM was protected. We do the same on VMware jobs as well.

I believe for EC2 volumes and snapshots - they are are also tagged to identify that they were created by Commvault (it should say GX_BACKUP). I do not believe they are used internally, just as a notification (example, if one was left behind by accident or bug and the user is left wondering where it came from)

There is probably a way to turn tagging off but it is not published - looking in to that.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@ChuckC Thank you for your reply.  As my specialty is on the Cloud storage side I will defer to my colleagues @Damian Andre and @wgrande .

Badge +6

Thanks Josh for your reply.  We are concerned about the tags on the Cloud VM’s.  But since we are new with both CV and Cloud, there may be other cloud objects as well.

Thanks

Chuck

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hello @ChuckC ,

Could you please clarify, are you talking about tagging on the Cloud Storage or tagging on Cloud VMs?

Regards,

Josh

My guess is cloud VMs. @wgrande - you might know the answers to this one.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello @ChuckC ,

Could you please clarify, are you talking about tagging on the Cloud Storage or tagging on Cloud VMs?

Regards,

Josh