Solved

Azure NetApp Files Support

• 28 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

We are implementing Azure NetApp Files (ANF). Primarily we are looking to use ANF for SMB storage.
We have an ExpressRoute between our on-premises Media Agents and Azure.
Reviewing the documentation online, there seems to be limited support for ANF using CommVault Agents. That support is geared towards SAP HANA, SAP Oracle and Oracle databases.

As stated, we are looking to use ANF for a more traditional SMB solution.
Would CommVault be able to support backing up an SMB target hosted on an ANF SMB Share?

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/127985_azure_netapp_files.html
https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/146805_supported_agents_for_azure_netapp_files_array.html

icon

Best answer by Onno van den Berg 29 October 2022, 10:17

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Allan0105 !

I checked with some of our Media Management folks who said the ExpressRoute is transparent to us, so this should work, but has never been tested and certified.

Let me know if that’s what you were looking to check.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hi @Allan0105 !

I checked with some of our Media Management folks who said the ExpressRoute is transparent to us, so this should work, but has never been tested and certified.

Let me know if that’s what you were looking to check.

Thanks Mike, I am looking to use ANF for a more traditional SMB solution.
Would CommVault be able to support backing up an SMB target hosted on an ANF SMB Share?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Allan0105 

Simply, as long as the OS of the Media Agent can access the SMB share, Commvault should be able to use it.

Thank you,
Collin

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Well if your MA is located outside of Azure than I would always recommend to use a VM within Azure as an access node. In this case a simple VM (with power management) or an existing VM that has the SMB attached to it. That way you will only transfer the unique changes over the wire, because even though you have a ExpressRoute in place it still can become expensive to pull all data over the wire (depending on the ExpressRoute offering) or it saturates the connection causing impact on other traffic. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Well if your MA is located outside of Azure than I would always recommend to use a VM within Azure as an access node. In this case a simple VM (with power management) or an existing VM that has the SMB attached to it. That way you will only transfer the unique changes over the wire, because even though you have a ExpressRoute in place it still can become expensive to pull all data over the wire (depending on the ExpressRoute offering) or it saturates the connection causing impact on other traffic. 

Thanks, Onno, i will create a small share and test it out and update here. Do we have any document from CommVault for it. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Allan0105 

Simply, as long as the OS of the Media Agent can access the SMB share, Commvault should be able to use it.

Thank you,
Collin

Thanks, Collin, for the update! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Thanks, Onno, i will create a small share and test it out and update here. Do we have any document from CommVault for it. 

Thanks, Onno, it works fine.