Solved

Azure SQL bacpac exports not cleaning up

• 24 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I have a customer that’s running Azure SQL backups, the backup process triggers the export of the database to a bacpac file in a dedicated storage account and then backs this up to a Cloud library.

I was under the impression that the data in the export location would only be transient as part of the backup process, however, looking at the storage account there are bacpac files going back for as long as we have had backups running for these Azure SQL accounts.

Is this the expected behaviour or should the backup process be cleaning up the staging location?

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 26 July 2022, 19:46

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @Michael Woodward 

The process should clean up once the backup is completed

the process goes...

1. create copy of the DB since this will be transactionally consistent
  2. Export copy of the DB to Azure Storage account in .bacpac format
  3. Download that .bacpac file
  4. clean-up

We will need to determine what's in the export location and review the logs for any failures during clean-up.

I recommend raising a support ticket to review this issue further

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Could it be that the account is lacking permissions? Have you checked the logs? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @Michael Woodward 

The process should clean up once the backup is completed

the process goes...

1. create copy of the DB since this will be transactionally consistent
  2. Export copy of the DB to Azure Storage account in .bacpac format
  3. Download that .bacpac file
  4. clean-up

We will need to determine what's in the export location and review the logs for any failures during clean-up.

I recommend raising a support ticket to review this issue further

Thanks for this - it’s how I expected it to work as well, the .bacpac files that have been left behind are relatively old now and there’s no job logs that show me anything, logged a support ticket to confirm why this may be happening and if we can safely delete the files.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Michael Woodward , can you share the case number so I can track it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sharing case resolution:

Solution:

- It seems like the older files in the storage account relate to backups during a period where many issues were occurring with that proxy machine.
- Customer cleared the files and will monitor.