Solved

Backing up 32TB Virtual Machine within few hours.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hello, All

So, i have this concern and i am looking to get back to the customer as soon as possible.

They are backing up virtual machines that are as big as 32TB.

They want the backup for those VMs to complete within 1-2 hours.

What kind of infrastructure should be put in place to achieve this?

icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 17 July 2022, 08:54

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mubaraq , have you looked into doing snapshot backups?

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/36282_vmware_intellisnap.html

The doc above should help get you started,

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Thank you, @Mike Struening 

With this feature…...how long should a 32TB take, please?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

This isn’t an easy question to answer as it would be dependent on your infrastructure. 

What transport mode is being utilized here? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

@Aplynx Media agent NIC teamed network card 40GBPS network card. SSD DDBs and good throughput from the media agent to the storage.Media agent also serves as proxy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mubaraq , what is the vm transport mode?

Check the options here:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/36340_transport_modes_for_vmware.html

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Mubaraq - Have you found the answers that you are looking for?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

An intellisnap backup would most likely manage it within this timeframe as it only needs to quiesce the VM, snapshot the storage array volume and consolidate the disks for the VM. For such VM sizes I assume the VM is running on fast storage, preferably NVMe. When running on slow storage the disk consolidation will take a while depending on the delta created during this activity.

But a snapshot is not a backup in my opinion. If you want to backup copy it to disk, to be honest, I don't think you will manage this in the required timeframe if you focus on VM backup via LAN.

So it all depends on the context of your requirements.

A quick thought on a valid solution, for backup to disk, could be:

• Devide data on multiple in-guest LUN's, not on VMDK
  • VM snapshot with intellisnap for OS
  • Make Intellisnap backups with the File System Agent for the in-guest LUN's
  • Offload the backup copy for the VM and LUN's to a proxy or multiple proxies and run them in parallel

If you keep a certain amount of snapshots for both the OS and Data sections you can revert both the VM and Data with snapshots, or restore from disk if this would be required.

The questions here would be:

• Do you have an intellisnap supported storage array
  • Does your storage array provide FC connectivity
  • Do you have proxies available with FC connectivity
  • Which FC speeds are available
  • Can/will your customer facilitate in this change

Other solutions might be there, but 32 TB is simply a lot of data for that timeframe...

Badge

File restores seem to be the weak spot for IntelliSnap backups of large VM’s.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

File restores seem to be the weak spot for IntelliSnap backups of large VM’s.  

Yes this is true if restoring from the snapshot copy. This is because the snap has to be presented back to the ESXi host, the VM mounted and read using a transport mode to access the file content. If your array supported non-persistent storage then a live mount from snap and copy out of the files may work much faster. Hoping we will see improvement to file restore performance from snap backup in the future - I’ll see if there is anything to improve this in the pipeline.