Solved

backup linux kvm

• 8 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

We have a kvm server, running virtual machines, Is there a way to backup the VMs and not just the file system? in order to be able to restore a vm and not just the files.

thanks.

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 9 November 2021, 18:40

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Sisapers take a look at this document:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/31916_virtual_server_agent_support_for_ovirt_on_kvm.html

Should cover all your full vm backup questions!

Badge +1

Thanks for the quick answer!

unfortunately this is not RHEV, Its libvirt with virsh.

So it doesn't have any web management tool as RHEV or other options provided under “virtualization” section in Commvault, or I have missed something.

Is there still a way to install the host of all the VMs as a virtual agent and backup the VMs under it ?

Badge

Thanks for the quick answer!

unfortunately this is not RHEV, Its libvirt with virsh.

So it doesn't have any web management tool as RHEV or other options provided under “virtualization” section in Commvault, or I have missed something.

Is there still a way to install the host of all the VMs as a virtual agent and backup the VMs under it ?

Hi, we have the same problem, if you find a solution I’m interested to know how please :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey folks,

Going back a few years now, but this was a common ask for our engineering team. I recall that we cannot support KVM in its raw form because it does not have the necessary VM management layers on top to support backups. oVirt / RHEV have management built-on on top that makes snapshot-based backups possible, with all the metadata and API functions we need to make it possible.

Since oVirt is opensource, if its possible to join your KVM servers to an oVirt cluster, then you can use the support capability for that. Otherwise, agent-in-guest is the alternative, along with 1-touch for full recovery of the VM.

Badge +1

Thanks a lot!  we will check the option of oVirt as you suggested.

Consider this as closed.