Solved

Backup of SAP Hana Multitenant Database Containers with Intellisnap

• 28 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello,

we have following Scenario:

We Backup with Intellisnap on NetApp a SAP HANA with Multitenant Database Container.

Generally everything is working but we have some timing issue or maybe wrong understanding how Backup should be done for MDC Hana.

Pseudo Client: msp-sap-h01d

Instance: H01

Three Tenant DBs: mounted in HANA System as /hana/data/

• ASP
  • H01
  • JSP

and

• System DB

Looks like that:

System DB must be streamed by design → works everything fine

The three Tenant DBs are backuped via a Plan which runs every evening at 8pm and triggers 3 Jobs for each DB - and then one job works fine Snapshot created everything Ok but the two others failed

“A storage snapshot cannot be prepared because another storage snapshot has been already prepared or a data backup is running”

and after some time it resumed again and the it fails with “ SAP HANA Error []. “

So all for one DB Backup is successful and two fails, because another Snapshot in Progress.

Questions:

1. Is there something we missed in Design how to Backup MDC Hana with CV?
  2. Or for me best case - is it possible to say there is one job with all DBs - they all set in Backup mode and one snapshot created and afterwards Backup mode end?
  3. Or is it possible to work on the timing how the snapshots are done?

From the documentation is says:

“The software includes both the SYSTEMDB and the tenant database on the same volume when you perform an IntelliSnap backup operation.“

Would be nice to have some feedback here how it should work and maybe what I missed or what should we check.

If more information need please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your support.

BR

Marcel

icon

Best answer by Sunil 28 July 2022, 18:51

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @Marcel Geisen 

SAP HANA IntelliSnap with multi-tenant databases works a bit differently. Every snap backup will snap the entire instance (all tenant DBs and the SYSTEMDB). So, running a backup on any of the tenant databases should be fine.

And during restore also, restore from snap is always whole instance. Whichever tenant DB snap backup you have, we can restore the whole instance.

And HANA fails the backup operation if we try to do multiple snap operation at the same time, which is exactly what’s happening when the schedule is kicking off snap jobs on all tenant databases at the same time.

Schedule the snap backup on any one tenant DB, you should be good.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hey @Sunil ,

thanks for your reply.

Ok, that makes things clear this I was thinking of but was not sure, but two questions:

1. Does this mean when I schedule Snap Backup on only one Tenant DB all Tenant DBs will set to Backup Mode that there are in an consistent state for the snapshot?
  2. For Restore I already read that only the whole Instance can be restored.
    1. What if you only want one Tenant DB Restored do have to a clone and copy it?
    2. Are there any Roadmap that for Restore in future SnapDiff will be used to restore single Tenant DB like NetApp do it with Snap Center?

Thanks for more feedback.

BR

Marcel

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @Marcel Geisen 

1. Yes. The entire instance will be set to backup mode. This is HANA behavior itself.
    1. Correct, we need to clone and copy the required Tenant DB.
    2. We will evaluate this. But we don’t have an ETA yet for this.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hey @Sunil ,

thank you very much for clarifying things, would be very nice if in future Snapshot Single File Restore via SnapDiff is used. ;-)  I will open a CMR for that.

And maybe it is possible to add one sentence to the CV Documentation that only for One Tenant DB Subclient with Schedule has to be configured, because by default the entire instance is set to backup mode and snapshot is created. Would help all other people dealing first time with HANA MDC.

Thank You and BR

Marcel

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Thanks for your feedback @Marcel Geisen . We will ensure the documentation is updated to reflect your suggestion here.

Thanks,

Sunil-