Question

Backup of virtual machines separated into Data and Index on two different tapes in the Tape library

• 5 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

I have Commserve backup server simpana version 11.20.85, I have configured setup for backup four virtual machine (VMware virtualization)

I noticed that the Data and Index backup of four virtual machine is placed on two separate tapes on the Tape library. This is a limitation because I have two drives on the Tape library.

If I have a backup that is performed on another drive, the backup of these four virtual machines cannot be performed simultaneously.

Where is it configured, perhaps in the Storage policy or Schedule policy, that the Data and Index backups are placed on two separate tapes?

Best regards,
Elizabeta

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @elizabeta 

Thank you for reaching out

Can you please confirm what multiplexing factor has been configured on the Storage Policy?

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=10963.htm

In addition can you please share the setting configured for “Percentage of streams to hold for index operations” Which can be found in resource manager under media management configuration 

“https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=11021.htm

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

Thank you @Emils for your email.

When I go to the Storage policy-Properties-Media

I don´t understand where should I check this: “ can you please share the setting configured for “Percentage of streams to hold for index operations” Which can be found in resource manager under media management configuration  “

BR

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Thank you, can you please increase the Multiplexing factor to 2 and retry leave the option “Use Device Streams...” unchecked once this is done retry the backup this should alleviate the need to put the Index + Data in separate tapes.

In terms of how to get to “Percentage of streams to hold for index operations” 

The Procedure is as follows:

1. Open the CommCell Console.
  2. On the ribbon in the CommCell Console, click the Storage tab, and then click Media Management.

The Media Management Configuration dialog box appears.

You will find the tuneable under “Resource Manager”

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=11013.htm

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

Thank you @Emils for your answer and detailed instructions.

Under “Resource Manager” there are settings:

BR,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

I have a few questions:
Is this behavior characteristic of VMware virtualization for indexing version V2.
If I mark Enable Multiplexing in this Storage policy in this way:

The only consequence of this will be that Data and Index backup will be on one tape, not two as now?
The type of indexing indexing version V2 remains unchanged?

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hello,

I have a few questions:
Is this behavior characteristic of VMware virtualization for indexing version V2.
If I mark Enable Multiplexing in this Storage policy in this way:

The only consequence of this will be that Data and Index backup will be on one tape, not two as now?
The type of indexing indexing version V2 remains unchanged?

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Yes Indexing V2 remains unchanged. 

The other symptom you may notice (Depending on number of readers configured) You may see multiple VMs backed up on the same tape

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

I have noticed that in this Storage policy number of Device Streams is 2. Can I just change to 1?

I didn't quite understand why putting Multiplexing factor 2?

I have this situation, VMware virtualization:one subclient and five Virtual Machines

BR,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

@EmilsI put these options as you said:

I started backup, but there are two drives again used and backup is situated on two tapes.
Is it possible to achieve a situation where the backup of virtual machines is executed only on the one tape?

Br,
Elizabeta