Solved

Backup Plans vs Storage Policies

• 27 January 2021
  • 29 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Newbie Alert!

Hello Everyone

I am new to Commvault I took over an environment which has more than 200 storage policies. These policies were created as a result of plans created using command center. We have more than 2000 VMs and 200+ filesystem clients and Databases. I was wondering how should I approach the cleanup. Is it a good idea to use plans for larger environments, because as a result of single plan there are multiple configurations created automatically. 

Thank You

icon

Best answer by MFasulo 27 January 2021, 18:57

View original

29 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Adding to this thread….

Let’s say a customer has been using old school policies since the beginning, has 5000+ VMs and at least 70-80 storage policies in place. Now such customer cannot take advantage of features available only from Command Center - e.g. VM snapshot indexing for Azure.

Does Commvault plan to introduce some kind of workflow\upgrade process that would automatically convert old school storage policies \ schedule policies etc into plans? I think that would be very useful for customers like me who find it difficult to redesign everything from scratch (e.g. new policy equals a need to make new full baseline backup, which in cloud for 5PB of data costs A LOT) :)

I believe there is one app in Commvault store that does the job. Converts the old school policies to plan. 

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=130123.htm

The link to the 11.23 version of this article is https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/essential/130121_converting_commcell_console_storage_policies_to_command_center_server_plans.html

But I cannot seem to find an equivalent ”expert” link. This is frustrating about the new way of organizing the essential/expert documentation, if you are in the essential thread, there is no immediate way to hop over to expert.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Just marking for later read, as I probaly need to get up to speed on this.

There is no way of marking a topic for later read in here, is there?

//Henke

Like an RSS feed?  Not that I know of, no….however you CAN add this community to an RSS reader which might be what you’re looking for?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Adding to this thread….

Let’s say a customer has been using old school policies since the beginning, has 5000+ VMs and at least 70-80 storage policies in place. Now such customer cannot take advantage of features available only from Command Center - e.g. VM snapshot indexing for Azure.

Does Commvault plan to introduce some kind of workflow\upgrade process that would automatically convert old school storage policies \ schedule policies etc into plans? I think that would be very useful for customers like me who find it difficult to redesign everything from scratch (e.g. new policy equals a need to make new full baseline backup, which in cloud for 5PB of data costs A LOT) :)

I believe there is one app in Commvault store that does the job. Converts the old school policies to plan. 

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=130123.htm

The link to the 11.23 version of this article is https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/essential/130121_converting_commcell_console_storage_policies_to_command_center_server_plans.html

But I cannot seem to find an equivalent ”expert” link. This is frustrating about the new way of organizing the essential/expert documentation, if you are in the essential thread, there is no immediate way to hop over to expert.

An “expert” equivalent doesn't always exist.  The article numbers and classification are different.  

I hear what you are saying, if you are deep into “vmware” and got through the basic, and want to deep dive, bring me to the “vmware expert” docs.      I’ll figure out some way for this. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Just marking for later read, as I probaly need to get up to speed on this.

There is no way of marking a topic for later read in here, is there?

//Henke

This may seem totally bootleg, but in outlook I “flag” the emails i get from the forums and set the “follow up” date.  Since the “tasks” sit in my outlook side bar they remain in plain sight.