Solved

Backup VMs on ESXi hosts

• 15 October 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge +3

Hi,

I’m trying to backup a Virtual machine (Linux) hosted on a ESXi server.

I’m facing issue when triying to add a client computer and entering host credentials after choosing “VmWare Vcenter” in Virtualisation section.

ESXi is in V5.5 and CommVault V11.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

icon

Best answer by Scott Moseman 6 December 2021, 22:18

View original

9 replies

Badge +3

To complete information, the primary need is to migrate the VM from this ESXi to HyperV infrastructure.

So I try to backup the VM to restore it in HyperV infrastructure.

Regards

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

VMware to Hyper V conversion? What is the problem you are facing? Is there an error being presented or do you need more info on the process itself?

Badge

@BenGodi first you need to add the vCenter to Client Computers and you need to use an username that has Administrator role at vCenter level (local username or domain one).

Then inside the vCenter client you need to create the subclient (in defaultBackupSet) and add the VM in the subclient content. Once done you can run the backup manually or create a Schedule Policy for it.

Badge +3

Hi,

Thank you for your answer, but in this case, there is no Vcenter. This is a stand alone ESXi.

This is why I am posting here. With a VCenter, the procedure is pretty clear.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@BenGodi , I unmarked the Best Answer based on your feedback.

To @Aplynx ‘s question, are you seeing any error messages?  What’s the issue you are facing when you try?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @BenGodi , following up on this one.  Are you seeing any error messages that we can track down?

Might be wise to open a support case at this point as well.

If you do, let me know the case number so IO can follow up!

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi,

Thank you for your answer, but in this case, there is no Vcenter. This is a stand alone ESXi.

This is why I am posting here. With a VCenter, the procedure is pretty clear.

The process is the same if you’re using vCenter or a single ESXi host.  Instead of entering the vCenter hostname, you enter your ESXi hostname.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/119380_guided_setup_for_vmware.html

“A VMware hypervisor can be a vCenter server or a standalone ESXi host.”

Thanks,
Scott

Badge +3

Hi,

As we are abandonning this ESX in our environment because it was the last and we are now full Hyper-V, I think we can close this thread. Thank you all for your help.

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Definitely appreciate the information there.

I’ll mark this as solved.