Solved

Best way to throttle AUX Copy between sites.

Badge +2

I need to limit bandwidth usage to 50% during 8am-5PM for AUX copies.  What is the best way to accomplish this?

I am planning to select the source media agent and the destination media agents under the properties of the source media agent.  Then I will configure the rules to only use 50% usage during 8am-5PM.  

What all does this impact?  The destination media agents are used for multiple other copies coming from different media agents and I do not want them to be limited.

Really just looking for confirmation that if I setup the throttling on the source media agent and select the destination media agents in addition to the source that it will only impact the AUX Copy between these source and destination and will not throttle any backups running to the source media agent or any other media agents writing to the destination media agents.

icon

Best answer by Harsh Desai 19 May 2022, 17:55

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hey @Zach there is a good post that discusses the different options depending on your scenario. I will refrain from adding more info to avoid confusion. Take a look

Badge +2

Hey @Zach there is a good post that discusses the different options depending on your scenario. I will refrain from adding more info to avoid confusion. Take a look

Thanks.  Setting up just the send throttling I assume would throttle any restores locally in addition to the off-site AUX copy?  

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

If the media agent sending the data is part of the throttle, yes. Unless you have multiple restores being triggered, I would doubt that restore would be a problem.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

@Zach,

There are 2 ways of throttling data transfer operations:

1. Throttling at the client or client group level
  2. Throttling at the copy level

There are pros and cons to both:

Hope this helps.

Cheers