Solved

Block level backup failed

Badge +2

Hello,

I have tried to backup file server with block level option enabled.

For each volume i have made subclient. Backup of the volume D seems OK.

For the volume E. I have selected only 2 folders. Backup job has failed with error:

Error Code: [57:327] Description: Found folder as content of subclient, which is not allowed for block level backups, Content [E:\0D\].

I have dug into the logs and found the error:

“CsFileSystemSnapshotBlockLevelBackup::AdjustBackupContentFromSnapshotContent(518) - Not adding [E:\] to snap content as corresponding Volume GUID [\\?\Volume{c6de5c3f-0367-4763-9870-c5af793ad98e}\] is already present in snap content”

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by Backup files corruption 22 August 2022, 09:29

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello,

For Block Level Backups, The subclient content must consist of a volume or a mount point.

-Can you change the content to E:\ here?

Best Regards,

Michael

Badge +2

Hello Michael,

Thank for the answer.

I have tried this option (whole E:) and backup job says ok, BUT the mentioned folder backup contained  only subfolders without files! I choose to backup only those folders to save backup space. As my understanding Commvault support folder selection with block level backup.

Update:I have changed the job for volume D with only some folders selected. The Job has failed with the same error. I am waring about missing files into backups.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Do you have a mount point configured on that folder?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Could it be that it is part of a dynamic disk with multiple extents?

Also block level is not advised for subsets of data → https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/129445_block_level_backups_for_file_system_agents.html

Badge +2

Hello,

I have found that the the volumes E:,D: are windows dynamic volumes each with 2 partitions.

Is this configuration suitable for block level backups, i cannot find in commvault documentation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Backup files corruption why did you create individual subclients per disk? have you scheduled at the same time? i would change it and just leverage the default subclient which should capture everything in one go. in case of different retention criteria and/or RPO than I would make sure they do not run at the same time as this is causing collisions. 

Badge +2

@Onno van den Berg  optimizing backup with different schedules/backup frequencies  on Volume E and Volume D. I am still testing and the volumes has been  backuped one by one in different times.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

So you are making progress? I think it's clear now what you have to do to get it sorted, right ?

Badge +2

Before perform ew test backup, waiting confirmation, that block level backup is fully compatible with microsoft dynamic disk.

Badge +2

Thank you all  for answers.

Selecting whole volumes should resolve issue with block level backups.

But the issue with the concrete folder on volume E:\krt stays, even with  file level backup selected.

I will open new treat.