Solved

Can I change the ddb network interface

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi,

Can I change the ddb network interface? and if I can, how?

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 4 May 2022, 06:50

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

For just the DDB or the media agent in general? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

The DDB itself does not have an interface associated with it. 

You can use data interface pairs to force clients to communicate with a specific server connected to a DBB.

Can you provide more details about what you are attempting to do? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good morning.  You can set Data Interface Pairs in order to set a dedicated backup network:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/7140_configuring_dedicated_backup_network_using_data_interface_pairs.html

But the DDB itself has no interface.  You would have to set the DIPs to use one of the interfaces on the MediaAgent associated to the DDB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There is a special network setting on the DDB properties that allows you to bind DDB traffic to a specific interface for the purposes of having a dedicated network interface between Media Agents hosting DDB partitions (see in red below). It can be configured when adding a partition but should be visible in the settings somewhere after config:

1. From the CommCell Browser, expand Storage Resources > Deduplication Engines > storage_policy_copy.

2. Right-click the deduplication_database and then click Advanced > Add Partitions.

3. In the Configure Additional Partitions dialog box, in the MediaAgent And Partition Path column, click Choose Path to add the location of the appropriate partition.

4. In the Partition Path dialog box, specify the following:

1. From the MediaAgent list, select the MediaAgent that will be used to access the partition path.

2. In the Partition Path box, enter the file path where you want to locate the DDB.

3. Optional: Click the Advanced button and add the following information:

DDB Network Interface: Define dedicated network interface name for each partition MediaAgent .

Source

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

I was confused for a second, but essentially according to the link provided this creates a dip implicitly and names it. 
This could be used for any node specific traffic and since a ddb doesn’t logically belong to any interface its an interesting way of doing things. I would love to see what this looks like in the firewall file, and the name would only be valid within commvault.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I was confused for a second, but essentially according to the link provided this creates a dip implicitly and names it. 
This could be used for any node specific traffic and since a ddb doesn’t logically belong to any interface its an interesting way of doing things. I would love to see what this looks like in the firewall file, and the name would only be valid within commvault.

Yes its not a setting I see used frequently - I think it may be used on the larger HyperScale X appliances, but it does probably just automate DIP(s) between MA nodes hosting partitions. Essentially this would allow you to dedicate one network interface for communications with other media agents - the traffic wouldn't be restricted to DDB lookups, but all Commvault traffic between MA nodes.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Yes its not a setting I see used frequently - I think it may be used on the larger HyperScale X appliances, but it does probably just automate DIP(s) between MA nodes hosting partitions. Essentially this would allow you to dedicate one network interface for communications with other media agents - the traffic wouldn't be restricted to DDB lookups, but all Commvault traffic between MA nodes.

Pretty smart solution actually. Soft of like the infiniband backend for isilon, but without actual dedicated hardware.