Solved

Can't suspend/kill job

• 12 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Good afternoon all

I have a very minor issue. A Test VM backup job was run and it never went past Discover phase. It was subsequently killed but it’s status went to ‘Completed’.
The job stays visible in the Job Controller. There is the option to suspend/kill it but nothing happens when you try this.

I have the error that states ‘Failed to create Job History for Job [Job ID]. The operation will be retried.
The job has been hanging about for about 48 days. In that time the environment has been rebooted and I thought it would clear it out.

Thanks.

Mauro

icon

Best answer by Mauro 24 January 2022, 12:50

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Mauro 

Since you’ve tried the basics and these haven’t worked, there’s one more thing to try before raising a support case.

Please try kill job command via qoperation:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/45282_qoperation_jobcontrol.html

qoperation jobcontrol [-o <joboperation>] [-j <jobid>] - all [-m <media_agent>] [-c <client>] [-a <dataagenttype>] [-i <instance>] [-b <backupset>] [-s <subclient>] [-p <priority>] [-tfx <total files to transfer>] [-fx <files transferred>] [-ifx <files transferred since last update>] [-tbx <total bytes to transfer>][-tf <tokenfile>] [-tk <token>] [-h]

Example

• Kill a job with job ID 175.

qoperation jobcontrol -j 175 -o kill

If the command above doesn’t work, then It’s likely we’ll need to stage your Commserve database to take a closer look and potentially obtain a cleanup script from Development to clean up these job records, so a support case will be needed then.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Thanks so much. I’m going to try that and get back to you.

Thanks.
Mauro

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi Stuart

I’ve had to log a support call. The qcommand runs and indicates the job is successfully killed, but it still hangs in the console. I’ll update this thread when I know the outcome?

Regards,

Mauro

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mauro , can you share the case number so I can follow accordingly?

Thanks!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

@Mike Struening Sorry I didn’t get the details to you sooner.

Anyway the issue was resolved by adding a temporary reg key to the Commserve.

Steps are to kill any running jobs.
Add the reg key to the commserve.

Restart CS services.

Check job status in console. If job is gone, remove the reg key now and restart CS services.

The reg key is attached.

Thanks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Thanks - Just started seeing this recently.

The issue with the job still appearing, is that other jobs (eg for the same client / subclient) wont run - They’ll just queue

This solves the problem!!

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Beautiful avatar image there, @YYZ !