Solved

Can you help to understand DPA and DPF license ?

• 3 September 2021
  • 10 replies

Badge +5

i need to understand current license usage and calculate remaining license capacity

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 3 September 2021, 13:27

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

From the Licensing Program Guide:

Licensing transition guide for existing capacity, solution set, and agents & options

Overview

With the introduction of modernized license programs in July of 2018, legacy licensing models used before July 2018 will begin a phase-out program to streamline and improve overall customer experience with license management. This document outlines the logic, rules, and operational procedures associated with the transition program.

Transitional principles

Commvault strives to make the licensing transition process as seamless as possible for the existing customer base. To that end, all transitional logic is predicated on the concept that no customer should lose any functionality when moving from the old licensing to the new licensing. For customers wishing to maintain a perpetual license model, a direct conversion will be available, so long as a similar license metric is maintained (TB to TB, or client to client). For customers wishing to change their model from client to TB, or TB to client, such a conversion will require a shift to subscription licensing.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Lukas_S , it’s per subclient, so you’d be using 200 GB total.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Mansoor 

Thank you for the question.

The best resource for understanding License consumption is License Summary Report.

Regardless of whether you have Capacity based license or Operating Instance (OI) license, this report will display the usage in your environment.

Legacy license types have been replaced with Commvault Complete licensing, which greatly simplifies administration and enables you to make simpler license predictions based on your expected environment growth.

Commvault Complete licenses are available as either Capacity or OI (which may be physical or virtual).

The Commvault Licensing Program Guide will help explain licensing terms and how these are applied.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@Lukas_S , it’s per subclient, so you’d be using 200 GB total.

Thank you Mike.

Badge +5

Hi Stuart, Thanks for your response. 

Requirement : My requirement is to understand how much capacity is used in commcell and how much capacity is remaining which can be used for cloud workloads?

My Understanding: 

is DPF and DPA is replaced with commvault complete licensing?

is DPF and DPA no longer valid?

Consider below scenario :

My Understanding is

DPA = DPF+DB+APPS+Intellisnap

DPF = FIlesystem + NAS

in License summary report FETB is showing as  10TB for all types of backups. do we need consider 10 used out of 300TB total capacity purchase? The license applied in commcells are DPA(150TB) and DPF(150TB).

Do we need to deep dive as DB & FS backup and divide 10 TB used capacity and find out how much for DPA & DPA remaining ?

How is it working..

i read that document but unable to understand completely on how the features or enabled ? or all the features are enabled completely?

Also that document didn't brief anything about DPA&DPF

Kindly help on this...

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Mansoor 

DPF and DPA are legacy license types that have been replaced by the much simpler and more comprehensive capacity or OI licenses.

You can reach out to your account representative to explore options for conversion from legacy license to Complete license.

Commvault Complete licensing, based purely on capacity, this would include all capacity consumption for all agents, regardless of type/Intellisnap, etc.

There are additional licenses for features such as Activate, Hyperscale and per user options such as mailbox or endpoint backups.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +5

Thank you much appreciated. I will discuss with my account team and work further.

Badge +5

@Stuart Painter One more clarification, is virtual server backup or VSA backups comes under DPA or DPF?

As long as i convert existing license it will be working as DPA and DPA. so i want  calculate the capcity for current license model. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Mansoor 

Simple VSA backups would be included as DPF.

However, DPF doesn’t include Intellisnap capability, which requires DPA.

I’m not sure it’s that relevant as the replacement for DPA/DPF/DPE in Complete is simple capacity with full features and all agents included in a simple Front End Terabyte (FET) calculation.

So, the sum total of all your capacity (regardless of legacy license) would be covered by Complete Capacity license.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hello,

I’ve one question to the topic. Considering that DPF and DPA licenses are in place, how is capacity consumed in such scenario:

There’s a VM:

• VM level backup 50 GB
  • additional FS backup at VM 100 GB
  • and DB backup 50 GB

Capacity is counted towards all fulls for the Client, making charge back 200 GB of capacity or only for the largest full, 100 GB?