Solved

Can you still run the new documentation that was introduced in FR21 offline?

• 8 February 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Can you still run the new documentation that was introduced in FR21 offline? 

icon

Best answer by Seema Ghai 9 February 2021, 16:37

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@Onno van den Berg, we are working on providing a solution for the problem you just described. With our solution, a user will automatically get logged in and will be able to access the expert documentation when they click the help button in CommCell Console or Command Center.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Onno van den Berg, we are currently working on providing an offline package for the new documentation and are targeting the 11.23 release to make it available. The offline package will only be available for Essential docs. I will keep you posted and let you know as soon as it becomes available.

@Seema Ghai that is nice to hear but will it address the main challenge that we are experiencing, which is the lack of troubleshooting information for customers who press the help button in Command Center? The more technical information is only available for Expert level which requires an active MA account. Many large customers and MSPs have customers who just use Commvault/Command Center to satisfies their data protection needs and the new documentation removes the ability for them to troubleshoot themselves. 

Would be great that if someone presses the help functionality in Command Center that it automatically enters the documentation in Expert mode leveraging a specific token (maybe after activating a switch that unlocks it or via a role/user group option). 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @Onno van den Berg, we are currently working on providing an offline package for the new documentation and are targeting the 11.23 release to make it available. The offline package will only be available for Essential docs. I will keep you posted and let you know as soon as it becomes available.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Chris Hollis 
No, I was actually referring to the ability to host the documentation ourselves. Reason for asking is that we are having some challenges with the new documentation in regards to the level of detail and in particular when it comes to troubleshooting possibilities for users who do not have an MA account. The essential documentation is focused on Command Center which his great and focusses in particular on the onboarding part of new workloads but it misses troubleshooting information.

Now when a user runs into an issue he/she was always able to press the help and looks/searches in the old documentation. This is still possible for users because the old documentation is still available (if you change the URL) but by the end of the year a new LTS release will become available, and the new documentation will become leading.

So my reason for asking for a offline version of the documentation was to asses if an offline version also comes with the segregated Essentials/Expert view.

Hey @Onno van den Berg , I;’m going to reach out to our documentation team and get them engaged.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I used the offline docs too when I work on dark sites.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Chris Hollis 
No, I was actually referring to the ability to host the documentation ourselves. Reason for asking is that we are having some challenges with the new documentation in regards to the level of detail and in particular when it comes to troubleshooting possibilities for users who do not have an MA account. The essential documentation is focused on Command Center which his great and focusses in particular on the onboarding part of new workloads but it misses troubleshooting information.

Now when a user runs into an issue he/she was always able to press the help and looks/searches in the old documentation. This is still possible for users because the old documentation is still available (if you change the URL) but by the end of the year a new LTS release will become available, and the new documentation will become leading.

So my reason for asking for a offline version of the documentation was to asses if an offline version also comes with the segregated Essentials/Expert view.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Onno van den Berg  
As in, can we export the pages for offline review? 
If so, then we have the option to export a page (or pages) to pdf in the top right corner.
If wanting to export multiple pages, you can select the ‘PDF more pages’ option > you then have to select each individual page you want included in the export. 
I’ve raised a change request so that when we select the ‘top’ page, all subpages are selected by default as most people (in my opinion) are going to want to simply export all pages associated to a topic rather than bits and pieces. 

If i’ve misunderstood please let me know what you’re after and I’ll see what I can do.