Solved

Cannot allocate Pipeline Buffer.

• 9 November 2021
  • 14 replies

Badge +1

Hi Everyone,

I receive this message: “Cannot allocate Pipeline Buffer”. Not always, but time to time. Obviously it is kind of lack of resource for this job. I changed the backup schedule to another time when the system is not so busy, but still receive the same message. The job being restarted and pass successfully. Does anyone has some proposal how to fix this situation?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 10 November 2021, 16:51

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Definitely.  I’ve been running through the top 100 ensuring we have KB articles attached to each, and as a result, creating CMRs to reword some messages, and even split some up.

We have and are still making great progress, though as you can imagine, the changes take time, and will be released in the latest MRs, etc.

My motto is ‘Messages should make sense because they are clearly written, not because you work here’.

If you see anything that looks poorly worded, feel free to let me know.  Primary focus is on the more popular codes, so there’s always a chance I’m already working on it :nerd:

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Well I'm all-in with you on this and imho there should be a big push on making these kinds of improvements across the product. I appears a small thing but it often has a big impact on user experience. Customers opening tickets cause long outstanding tickets and a lots of effort that is put in there to get to the bottom from both customer and Commvault support/development while in the end all this hassle was pretty much for nothing because the customer was given an incorrect and/or unreadable error. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Onno van den Berg , I agree with you 100%.  I’ve been reviewing the top error codes for the past year to do this exact thing.

Error codes should be informative and helpful.  Tell me what the problem is, and how to address it.  If I need further help, I can read a KB, or come seek help in the community.

We’ve made a ton of progress, though I’ll look into this one a bit deeper since it’s not so much a JPR as it is a log message and we may not have reviewed it yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Sorry but I have to say this…. Can we please use this example and make the request to development to optimize the error handling so the end user is informed that something is not correct with the network connection, instead of delivering an error that refers to the pipeline buffer.

Enhancing this saves out on customers opening tickets and improves UX because the user is pointed in the right direction which should contribute towards a swift solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Marking this as answered, though if you have time to update the thread, please do!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @NDN , following up to see if you have run into this issue since (and if so, if you opened a case).

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

To confirm, @NDN , you set up a one way firewall and it didn’t help?

If that’s the case, I would upload the job logs as soon as you see this and call in a case (if you’ve seen it recently enough, call a case in now :nerd: ).

Want to ensure you are able to share sufficient job logs, etc.

Badge +1

I’ve checked this already. No result.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks!  I am seeing some disconnects here:

5164  40d8  11/10 08:53:55 ### ERROR: CvFwClient::connect(): Connect to 172.16.134.211:52195 failed: Connection timed out5164  408c  11/10 08:54:16 ### ERROR: CvFwClient::connect(): Connect to 172.16.134.211:52195 failed: Connection timed out

What machine is that?  Is that the Media Agent?

Based on this, I would investigate the network connection, and/or follow @MichaelCapon ‘s advice of setting up a one way persistent firewall connection:

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=7208.htm

Badge +1

Found it.

Badge +1

Hi Mike,

Yes, it’s Windows FS. I can’t find clbackup.log, but attached you can see cvd.log.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@NDN , what type of backup is this?  Assuming Windows FS, the log extract shows the file scan process, but not the backup process.

Can you see what cvd.log and clbackup.log show for one of these Job IDs?

Badge +1

Thanks Michael for the prompt answer.

Please see the attached log file.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @NDN,

Are you able to share the log with this error so we can check for a possible cause? - These issues are usually network related.

Sometimes implementing a 1-way Network Route Configuration can resolve this as it creates and keep-alive a tunnel connection. - See the following documentation for steps: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=7208.htm

Best Regards,

Michael