Solved

Change display name with CLI

• 26 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Thanks for replies , i’ll start creating a script :)

Another issue - anyone tried to change display name only with cli , i cant figure out the syntax

I can change the client name and the doc refers to displayName but with no success.

qoperation execute -af update_client_name_template.xml -entity/clientName $client_disengaged -entity/newname $client -entity/Cliententity/newname $client -updateNameChangeOnlyInDBOnFailure 1

also tried to change the xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<App_SetClientPropertiesRequest>

-<association>

-<entity>

<clientName/>

<newName/>

</entity>

</association>

-<clientProperties>

-<client>

-<clientEntity>

<DisplayName/>

<newName/>

</clientEntity>

</client>

</clientProperties>

</App_SetClientPropertiesRequest>

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 31 March 2021, 08:23

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi, have anyone made a script or used cli commands to control the procedure of shutting down an entire commserve environment in windows.

I suppose you can do most of the stopping services with windows powershell , but how to disable all activity in commserve. 

What is the ultimate outcome you are trying to achieve? 

Badge +2

To change only the display name of the client

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @palcode 

It looks like you are using Changing the Client Computer Name Using the Command Line Interface steps to update your client displayname, there is no option in those steps or the XML to achieve this. Viewing client XML Parameters linked from Updating Client Properties for Multiple Clients Using the Command Line Interface, there is a displayName attribute that can be changed.

I have modified the original update_client_name_template.xml template, similar to you, but removing newName (not needed here) and adding displayName to the clientEntity section:

<App_SetClientPropertiesRequest>
<association>
<entity>
<clientName></clientName>
</entity>
</association>
<clientProperties>
<client>
<clientEntity>
<clientName></clientName>
<displayName></displayName>
</clientEntity>
</client>
</clientProperties>
</App_SetClientPropertiesRequest>

Executing this command changes the client display name:

qoperation execute -af update_client_name_template.xml -entity/clientName $client -client/clientEntity/displayname $new_displayName updateNameChangeOnlyInDBOnFailure=1

The first parameter -entity/clientName $client selects the client for performing these operations on.

The 2nd parameter -client/clientEntity/displayName $new_displayName then modifies the displayName, leaving the clientName unchanged.

Disclaimer: I have tested this in an SP20 lab, please test in an offline environment before making changes to production environments :wink:

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +2

Hi Stuart,

Perfect , exactly what I was looking for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Great!

I’m following this up internally to see if we can get something along these lines officially published in documentation as I’m sure this is bound to come up again in future.

I’ll go ahead and mark the previous post as best answer.

Thanks,

Stuart