Solved

Change Storage and Media Agent in the Replication Group (DR)

• 24 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hello everyone,

I’m currently changing the MA in a environment and I could move all the data and jobs from the old MA to the new one. In the tab Recovery targets configuration I could change the MA to the new one, but I need to change the Primary Storage and could add a new Storage on it, but when I try to remove the Storage Pool of the old MA, I receive a message saying that I cannot remove it. (all the steps was made in the Command Center, since the first configuration, till now).

I tried to take a look in Java GUI to try set the Storage Pool of the new MA, but the DR Storage Policy is not listed in there, but idk why. Before I open a ticket (if this is a issue) or reconfigure the DR in the Replication Group with everything new, I wanted to know if there’s something I could do. Do you guys have an idea or a way to do this?

Thanks, 😀

icon

Best answer by Collin Harper 27 June 2022, 18:00

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @antonio 

Thank you for your post. To better understand the scenario so we can provide the most accurate information, can you clarify what you are trying to do here?

1. Are you trying to associate a new MediaAgent (removing the old) for the existing StoragePool?
  2. Are you trying to change the StoragePool on the existing Policy?

Once we have more information we can point you in the right direction. I look forward to hearing back.

Thank you,
Collin

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hello @antonio 

Thank you for your post. To better understand the scenario so we can provide the most accurate information, can you clarify what you are trying to do here?

1. Are you trying to associate a new MediaAgent (removing the old) for the existing StoragePool?
  2. Are you trying to change the StoragePool on the existing Policy?

Once we have more information we can point you in the right direction. I look forward to hearing back.

Thank you,
Collin

Hello @Collin Harper 

I’m trying to set the new Media Agent to perform the Disaster Recovery jobs using the existing Policy and its Storage Pool so with this I can shut down completely the old Media Agent and let only this Media Agent perform the operations in the environment.

Thanks,

Antonio.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@antonio 

Thank you for confirming. Simply, it is not possible to change the MediaAgent of an existing storage pool. To move the existing MediaAgent to new hardware you can follow our MediaAgent hardware refresh process for the migration.

MediaAgent Hardware Refresh - Overview - https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/11069_mediaagent_hardware_refresh_overview.html

Thank you,

Collin

Badge

So to get this straight, if i have 100+ VMs that i have configured in recovery groups with alternate IPs configured at the recovery site and i replace a storage pool with another storage pool due to EOL hardware i cannot simply edit the configuration of the storage pool? Instead i need to reconfigure 100+ VMs and recovery groups? @antonio did you ever get a method to perform this migration other than reconfiguring everything?

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

So to get this straight, if i have 100+ VMs that i have configured in recovery groups with alternate IPs configured at the recovery site and i replace a storage pool with another storage pool due to EOL hardware i cannot simply edit the configuration of the storage pool? Instead i need to reconfigure 100+ VMs and recovery groups? @antonio did you ever get a method to perform this migration other than reconfiguring everything?

Hello @JohnK 

When I needed to perform this operation, I had to reconfigure everything. As I only had 1 Replication Group with a few VMs and few additional configurations, I did it manually, but perhaps there is some way to automate it, but I don't know how it could be done.