Solved

Changing User Name of the Backup Job

• 1 July 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi all,

in the jobs review for the storage policy I can see that all jobs are triggered under User Name "admin". Now, I need to change this to username "backup".

Is the workaround "Transferring Ownership of Entities" (https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=95233.htm) the correct approach to change the User Name under the backup job is triggred?

icon

Best answer by Sean Crifasi 6 July 2021, 19:09

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Yes, that should work.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Yes, that should work.

Thanks for contribution @Aplynx. Still I am a little bit afraid that if I transfer ownership of one user to another it can affect a lot of other settings. Let’s say, it is possible to change the owner of the job or more precisely the User Name, that triggers the job for only one storage policy?

To be clear I need to change only entries in the red box and no other security settings or permissions within the Commvault Commcell

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi @drPhil 

The previously provided option is the correct option to use, but can you help me understand the need to change this?

‘admin’ is the default account created during installation. If another user account was specified as the owner and later deleted, it leaves the potential for interruption if the entities are not transferred to another active account with sufficient permissions. Admin account running the schedules will not have any negative impact and I would advise to leave this as the owner unless there is a specific need to change this.

If you determine that you must change this ownership and you don’t wish to modify all entities you can modify schedules specifically with the below.
https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=125933.htm

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @drPhil 

The previously provided option is the correct option to use, but can you help me understand the need to change this?

‘admin’ is the default account created during installation. If another user account was specified as the owner and later deleted, it leaves the potential for interruption if the entities are not transferred to another active account with sufficient permissions. Admin account running the schedules will not have any negative impact and I would advise to leave this as the owner unless there is a specific need to change this.

If you determine that you must change this ownership and you don’t wish to modify all entities you can modify schedules specifically with the below.
https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=125933.htm

Hi @Sean Crifasi ,

thank you for your advice! Maybe the example I used was not the best one. In fact, I need to change User Name with common name something like MrHouse to something different such as backup or admin. This change is required by an audit report.

Fortunately, using the script provided I can change User Name for all schedule policies within the Commcell without impacting other entities. Great!