Solved

Clarifications after restoring the DR backup to another server

• 18 October 2021
  • 21 replies

Badge +7

Hi,

I restored the Commserver DR backup to another server. This is the first time I’m doing this so after restore I noticed that the configured disk and tape library in the destination server has changed reflecting the disk and tape library from the original server. I tried to add the destination server as another media agent but it is not allowing. How do i proceed to use the tape and disk library in the destination server after the restore?

Please advise.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 25 October 2021, 18:06

View original

21 replies

Badge +7

Hi @Mike Struening ,

I’m able to see the tape library now after following your instructions. When I try to do restore and clicking View Contents i’m getting Browse Request Failed.

Badge +7

“Browse request failed” error was fixed by setting the media agent name.Previously it is set to “ANY MEDIAAGENT”.

Badge +7

@Mike Struening 

Unfortunately only the old Media Agent is there.

I have checked the Device Manager and the locally attached medium changer exists. 

Badge +7

also  I noticed that the product version is 11 SP16 HPK124 so that means the  new Media Agent has taken the old media agents name. If I click on Start and do detection i will detect a tape LIbrary but when i try to Configure it shows an an error “Configuring Library [Library#] failed. Request partially completed”

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Glad you figured out that secondary issue!!

I’ll go ahead and mark this as solved!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@ElmerT , sounds like something went wrong during the import.  I would suggest creating a support incident at this point to see what happened and have them fix it.

When you do, can you share the case number here for tracking?

Thanks!

Badge +7

@Mike Struening Fujitsu says that reinstalling/rebuilding the system is not part of/ under the SLA for Commvault. I have been in touch with them for 2 weeks now.  I’ll  open a ticket for this issue.

Thank you.

Badge +7

@Mike Struening, thanks for the support. much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks!  Let me know what the incident number is so I can track it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mike Struening, thanks for the support. much appreciated.

Always!  We’ll be here next time, too!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @ElmerT , can you let me know how the library connection is looking now?

Badge +7

@Mike Struening I still have an open ticket with them.

Fujitsu Ref: FS-5157111 // Tape library and Media agent not present after DR backup restore // SN: YM8V001016

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks, @ElmerT !  I’m not able to see Fujitsu incidents (though if they escalate to us, I will see that), though keep me posted here on what they find.

Badge +7

@Mike Struening below is the latest reply I got from them.

I’m trying to understand this, previously the media agent is jg-sapbckupdr, after restoring the database it changed to jg-sapbckupprd. The tape library is already connected before the restore and was visible. After the restore, it changed  to the tape library assigned to jg-sapbckupprd. So what should I do to get the attached tape library to be visible again so I can do test restores.

I have looked at these.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/4739_commserve_hardware_refresh_overview.html

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/43510_commserve_recovery.html

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/43636_mediaagent_recovery.html

found nothing. We’re doing budgetting now for next year and I’m having second thoughts on renewing Commvault.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I want to be sure I have the details of each server NOW post database restore).

Confirm this is correct:

Server Name What was installed before DR What the GUI saw What is now installed post DR What the GUI Sees Questions
jg-sapbckupprd CS only CS only old environment still there? ???  
jg-sapbckupdr MA and Tape Library? MA and Tape library? CS, MA, tape library CS, MA Have you tried deconfiguring from the old MA and configuring on the new?

I have some assumptions in the chart, so please let me know what is wrong.

The main cause here is that the Ma and library were installed BEFORE the database was overwritten which reverted the CS to a point in time before those events happened, so we need to redo those steps.  However, if the MA software is already installed (but the GUI/CS does not see that) you can always uninstall and reinstall, then deconfigure the Tape Library (logically), and add hardware in the new CS/MA location.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @ElmerT 

Was the original Commserve also configured as a Media Agent with library attached?

I’m guessing your intention was to use the new Commserve also as a Media Agent with the same libraries attached?

If this is accurate, it sounds like the Commserve role has migrated across to the new machine, but the Media Agent role still remains on the old machine?

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@ElmerT 

Take a look at these guides to see if they are helpful in migrating the libraries to a new Media Agent server:
Migrating Libraries to the New MediaAgent

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +7

@Stuart Painter 

I wanted to use the new Commserve to import tapes from the original Commserve and do test restores using the existing tape library attached to the new Commserve. 

So what I did is, I reinstalled Commvault on the new server , Read Only, and configured the attached tape library and the server itself as disk library and media agent.

using Recovery Agent tool and DR set, i restored the database to the new server. The new server now shows the disk and tape library from the original server.

So how will I be able to add the tape library of the new Commserv so that I will be able to import tapes?

Please advise.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@ElmerT , did you install the Media Agent software on this new Commserve?  Since you did a DR restore on the new server, it should ‘know’ the tape library exists; you only need to move it (logically) to the CS/MA.

Badge +7

@Mike Struening 

Yes I installed the media agent and configured the libraries prior to restoring. I have attached here images of PRD and DR Storage resources. On the DR image it shows the PRD storage resources except for the tape library which I have deleted. Im trying to add the tape library connected to the new Commserv but could not do so because it is showing the PRD Media Agent. 

DR Storage Resources
PRD Storage Resources

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for the screenshots!  This makes sense.  If it was configured and then you restored the db, the Commserve basically ‘forgot’ you added it since it was restored to a prior time..

As long as the tape library is connected to the DR location, you can migrate it via this process:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/11083_migrate_tape_library.html