Solved

cleanup moved clients from file system based to VSA and vs.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

We have a lot of VMs which changed the backup from filesystem based to VSA and some from VSA to filesystem based. When we move a FS backup client to VSA backup we do uninstall CommVault software.

I expect when we move a client from VSA to FS backup, the VSA configuration (client properties) should be gone when last backup it’s aged out, same in the other direction. If not is there a possibility to remove it? Or what we need to do to have a clean commcell.

my problem is: when I catch information via API I am not sure if I got current configuration or the old configuration. sample: I see then last backup taken via FS backup 2 weeks ago but hidden we taken VSA backups which are up2date.

CV version: 11.24.34

regards Juergen

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 8 June 2022, 20:52

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Juergen , to confirm, are you talking about how the vm is listed in the content even if it no longer exists?

I’ll look into that, though if I am wrong on your goal, let me know!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Mike Struening no, that is wrong understanding. let me first think about, how can I better describe the issue.

regards jürgen

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Juergen , following up to see if you’ve had more time to ruminate this one over.

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Mike Struening  the simply question will be can I delete the VM pseudo client without any impact of the client with the same name?

regards Jürgen

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If you have a vm pseudo client that also has the File System iDA, you can delete the vm pseudo client and it will not affect the FS iDA.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Mike Struening How I can do that, in CommCell Console it looks we have only one client, in CommandCenter I find the client under Protect - virtualization and under Protect - File Servers.

Can I retire the one under virtualization without impact the one under File Server, when I click on Retire I got following warning:

The retire action will release the license and uninstall the Commvault software from xxxx.xxxxx.xxxxx.xxx
If no backup data exists, then xxxx.xxxxx.xxxxx.xxx will be deleted. Otherwise, xxxx.xxxxx.xxxxx.xxx will be deconfigured but available for restores.
Type Retire to confirm.

why it will uninstall CV software when I retire the pseudoclient?
Jürgen
Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Juergen , I conferred with a few engineers from our support team who advised pausing and opening a support case.  there’s a few possible distinctions that might change the outcome and it’s best to have someone in support take a look and confirm all those details.

Can you share the case number with me once created?

Thanks!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Mike Struening  thanks a lot, I will open a case after Easter, I will be out the next week.

regards Juergen

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Works for me, have a great holiday!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Mike Struening I open a case with number : Incident 220421-194

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Juergen , I see the case is in Closure Pending.

Can you confirm this resolved the issue?

Finding Details:

Decommissioned / Non-existing VM is showing included in SLA in the data protection report.

Solution:

Our dev team has provided the below update on your report query.

This client is listed under deconfigured client . Without selecting the include deconfigured client option, you should not be able to see this client. In other words, by default, you should not see this client. And we also indicated this client is excluded from SLA. We believe based on that you should identify this as SLA excluded client.

If we will not select any Include option then we will not be able to see the client on the report.

Thanks!