Solved

Command Centre Restore Options

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Good morning all

I wanted to confirm that initiating a restore using Command Centre won’t give you the option to change the Data Path (Media Agent and Library)?

We’re allowing business units to manage their own operations and this is one requirement that’s come up, and it looks like we will have to get them to use the Java console instead?

Thanks.

Mauro 

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 9 May 2022, 12:26

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Mauro 

Thanks for the question.

As far as I know we have security roles to define whether a restore can be performed in-place or out-of-place, but that refers to the restore destination.

I don’t think there is any way to govern the data path or the source of the restore - the user would be able to choose which copy the data may be restored from and could potentially change the data path accordingly.

What is the use case for restricting the data path used to perform a restore?

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good morning.  The Commvault Command Center has a limited set of restore options as compared to the CommCell console.  The ability to change the data path is not one of the options when restoring from the Command Center.  

You can control the user experience in the Command Center in the Navigation pane under Manage\Customization:

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Thank you all for confirming my suspicion. Really appreciate it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Just a quick question on this topic.

With Commvault moving towards using Command Centre, will the option to change Data Paths be something available in Command Centre or will it always be segregated to using the GUI?

Thanks.
Mauro

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mauro I don’t know of a specific CMR for that, though features from the console are moving to Command Center all the time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Mauro,

Just like @Stuart Painter I'm really curious to hear the use-case for this. I expect there will be no related CMR for it yet. So you could open it but I do not think you can expect such a option to land on Command Center anytime soon.

B.t.w. just to be clear are you not referring to the ability to select a specific copy from where you want to perform the recovery, because that is something different. This is possible and in case you want to pick a copy yourself than you'll be able to do this in the restore screen that allows you to select the specific recovery points. 

Regards,

Onno

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hello Onno

So in this case, the way the environment was designed, each Resource Group in Azure has it’s own dedicated MA for chargeback reasons. There is a central Media Agent that hosts the DDB (it was a customer requirement to run it this way) which has access to all Resource Groups.

All the MA’s write to the same storage pool.
When running a restore, the job runs through the various MA’s till it finds the correct one (which takes a long time) and will eventually complete.
So we have to use the GUI to force the correct Data Path.

We have the Business Unit owner who uses the Command Centre to perform his functions, but this is one that he can’t access, hence switching to the GUI.

He’d prefer to not use the GUI just for this purpose, which I can understand, but he posed the question which I’ve posted on his behalf. I do understand the reason it’s not available in Command Centre either, so was just interested so I can give him some feedback.

It’s not a major issue for him, but more just a general query. As Mike said, more and more functionality is moving into Command Centre, so this might be an option later down the line ad potentially only available with elevated privileges.

Thanks so much for all the feedback again.

Regards,

Mauro

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi Mauro,

What is the reasoning for having dedicated MediaAgents per resource group while in the backend you are writing all the data to the same storage pool. On what level are you applying the chargeback? 

I find it odd that this has been setup like this, only for chargeback reasons. This setup adds complexity and also additional cost for the MAs.

Have you considered taking away all the MA's and leverage storage accelerator?

With more and more features coming in Command Center alone and having the business use 2 console doesn't offer a nice UX imho. So I would consider taking away this "requirement” by bending it.

Onno