I wanted to get your input on our DR plan that I need to test out. Here is what I am looking to accomplish
- Restore Commserve from a DR backup to isolated datacenter
- Restore 3 Sql Server backups from tape to an isolated datacenter
- Not pause affect the production environment while the DR Test is taking place
- LiveSync is not an option (might be scoped out for next year)
I have looked through the documentation and other posts on here and this is what I am thinking….
- Spin up a vm in the isolated datacenter to restore the Commcell
- Declare a disaster recovery test with offsite provider
- Transport required tapes to isolated datacenter
- Restore a copy of our DR backup from an isolated file server
- Start a restore of the Commserve database with the recovery tool
- Configure tape library to work with the restored DR commcell
- Catalog tapes that contain the 3 sql server full backups
- Restore sql databases to new isolated vm’s
However, my main concern is that the tapes are encrypted. When I restore the DR Commserve to the new isolated vm, will it be able to decrypt and restore the tapes? Will the metadata and encryption keys managed by the CommCell be captured in the DR copy?
I have heard from others who have preformed DR tests from tapes to isolated environments that we have had to complete a whole CommCell migration (https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp19/article?p=5078.htm) and (https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp16/article?p=5990.htm) then we will need Commvault support to approve the migration request. Is this still the case in SP20?
Best answer by Mike StrueningView original