Solved

Commserve and MediaAgent OS Upgrade

• 15 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi,

is it a good idea to Upgrade the Operating System of an Commserve and a MediaAgent in place or is it better to install a new machine and migrate the CS or MA?

What is the supported way to get a new OS?

Kind Regards

Florian

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening 15 October 2021, 19:14

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @flokaiser 

In place upgrade obviously carries an element of risk.

Since you have Commserve and Media Agent on the same machine, the risk is doubled.

I would recommend separating the Commserve and Media Agent to different machines, at which point you can move the roles to machines with a newer OS.

Separating the CommServe from a CommServe-MediaAgent Computer

CommServe Hardware Refresh Overview

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi,

the Commserve and the MediaAgent are on different machines.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@flokaiser , appreciate the confirmation.  Check the link for the CS hardware refresh, as well as the MA refresh.  Same idea as @Stuart Painter mentioned; you are just building new servers, then migrating the resources over.

Badge

Was just considering this as my commserve and media agents are 2012R2.  The commserve is a vm so the build new and migrate is an easy option.  The mediaagents are physical.  Is there a process or any precedence for doing an in place upgrade of the OS to 2019?  Is the only option a hardware replacement?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Steve Cohen , the only safe, semi-guaranteed way (in that nothing is really guaranteed) method is to do the migrate option.  It’s much cleaner and more consistent an experience.

You can try to upgrade in place, though that leaves you in a pinch if something goes wrong (and then you’d need to do it the original way anyway).

Badge

Mike,

Thanks for the feedback.  My commserve is virtual so i suppose i can snapshot and rollback if it goes bad.  The media agents are physical so will both do the migration to new OS and also go to virtual for these.  Agree about the cleaner process, just looking to save some time but sometimes cutting corners costs more time in the long run :)

Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Anytime!!