Solved

Commserve hardware refresh

• 21 May 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hi Everyone,

Greetings, we are planning to migrate the commserve from 2012 OS server to 2019. The commserve service pack is 11 SP 9+, we are planning to upgrade 11.24 with latest maintenance. 

Here the question is, the commserve running on low OS 2012, can we upgrade the commserve to latest version on same OS to migrate or after migration of database to new hardware need to upgrade the service pack?

Thanks and regards.

icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 21 May 2022, 09:45

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

You can upgrade on the current OS.

Then prepare the new CS with clean install.

Perform DR backup on old CS and perform DB recovery on new CS and you will have up to date binaries and SQL version 👍

Badge +1

Thank you for the response @Jos Meijer.

But, we have some challenges to upgrade OS. not able to upgrade the OS on that server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Personally I would not try to upgrade the OS, but perform a clean install of 2019

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

The process to refresh the CS is documented below.

CommServe Hardware Refresh Overview
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/4739_commserve_hardware_refresh_overview.html

A benefit of a fresh install is getting the latest SQL Server (2019), too.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I'm really curious to hear why in the earth you are still running on a version that is ~5 years old! I would be very careful just jumping from this version to FR24 directly. It might be that you'll have to upgrade in a few steps, I assume you have support so would advise you to open a ticket.