Question

commserve hardware refresh (migration from server Win 2012 to Win server 2019)

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

We are planning to migrate the commserve from win server 2012 OS server to new hardware win 2019. Also we are planing to upgrade Simpana, our Simpana is 11.20.

Which upgrade method is suitable for us?

Should I upgrade Simpana on the old server before migrating Commserve to the new server, or install Windows on the new server and upgrade there?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Elizabeta

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

HI @elizabeta 

We have a page for “CommServe Upgrade with Hardware Refresh” in our Documentation.

Can you review it please and let us know if you have any questions:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/2224_commserve_upgrade_with_hardware_refresh_overview.html

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

Thank you for the documentation link.

I have some question.
Now I have Windows 2012 R2 and Microsoft SQL Server 2014, we use simpana 11.20.85....On new hardware we are planing use Windows Server 2019. What about Microsoft SQL Server?

I read that in the upgrade process the same version of simpana is used on the new hardware, is it recommended?

On this link https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/2801_commserve_server_system_requirements_windows.html   I see version Database Engine ( Installed by default when you create a new CommServe server )…

The question is: Which simpana version should I install on the new hardware?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

2022E is the latest Long Time Support and recommended version.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

@Sebastien Merluzzi you mean Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Editions ?

Which Simpana on new hardware I should use? On old hardware I use Simpana 11.20.85.

Microsoft SQL Server version?

Thank you!

BR,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @elizabeta 

The best way forward would be as follows.

1. Install windows 2019.
  2. Recover commserver on older CV Version (SP20) - Outage
  3. Upgrade the CV Version to latest. (Can remove old SQL Version during upgrade) - Can be part of the same outage in step2.

We can also go the other way although not recommended keeping in view win2012/SQL Component is fast EOS.

1. Upgrade CV to SP24 (SQL component will not be upgrade) - Outage.
  2. Upgrade the OS to windows 2019. - Outage.
  3. Upgrade SQL Version using workflow - Outage.
Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

@Zubair Ahmed Sharief so you recommend this:

1. Install windows 2019.
  3. Upgrade the CV Version to latest. (Can remove old SQL Version during upgrade) - Can be part of the same outage in step2.

So, 

I don't have to have the latest service pack installed on the old backup server? I will install the same version of simpana on the new server?

I read this link so it confused me a bit...

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/4745_commserve_hardware_refresh_preparing_old_commserve_computer_for_shutdown.html

BR,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @elizabeta 

My recommendation was assuming the Commserve does not have any Media Agent installed and with the least amount of outages.

It's up to you to decide which path to take and achieve the refresh/upgrade goal.

Let us know for any further issues you encounter. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

@Zubair Ahmed Sharief thank you. We will chose this scenario as you said.

The best way forward would be as follows.

1. Install windows 2019.

I have another question:

how can I see which SQL database is now on the Commserve backup server?

Badge

Hi All,

@Zubair Ahmed Sharief , regarding the steps you provided to @elizabeta

On your Step 2, couldn’t we (I have the same environment) just install the latest 2022E, then do a database restore and let it upgrade it to sql2019?  Or is there an issue with the sql versions of the DB being too old (sql2014)?

@elizabeta, I have the same environment, using 11:20 and 2012R2.  When I look at my Commserv through Add/Remove Programs or SQL Management Studio, it shows SQL2014.  I assume your version could be the same if that is what was bundled with 11:20?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @elizabeta 

SQL Version can be checked from the Control panel → Add / Remove Programs. As updated by @TapeChanger 

Hello @TapeChanger 

Could you please go through Note section in the below Link, that should answer your question
Upgrading Microsoft SQL Server Editions on the CommServe Computer (commvault.com)

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

I have checked, I have sql2012 on my server backup, simpana 11.20.85. Windows 2012 R2.

@Zubair Ahmed Sharief what are the recommendations? Install win 2019 or @TapeChanger said latest 2022E ?

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @elizabeta 

2022E is new name for 11.28. 

It's up to you to decide which path to take and achieve the refresh/upgrade goal.

Recommendation 1

1. Install windows 2019 OS - Server Team
  2. Recover commserver on older CV Version (SP20) - Outage - Backup Team
  3. Upgrade the CV Version to latest. (Can remove old SQL Version during upgrade) - Can be part of the same outage in step2 - Backup Team

Recommendation 2

1. Upgrade CV to SP24 (SQL component will not be upgrade) - Outage - Backup Team
  2. Upgrade the OS to windows 2019. - Outage - Server Team
  3. Upgrade SQL Version using workflow - Outage - Backup Team