Solved

CommServe LiveSync For High Availability Disaster Recovery question

Badge +5

Hi

I wanted to apply the solution in question, currently I have installed a standard Commvault platform with a single commserve.To protect myself from possible disasters I wanted to apply the "CommServe LiveSync For High Availability Disaster Recovery" solution.Among the prerequisites it is not clear to me the step concerning "Firewall and Network Requirements" where it says "By default, this solution requires that all clients communicate with the CommServe server using a proxy. (By default, the SQL Clients installed in the CommServe hosts is used as the proxy.) "

In my configuration the clients do not use proxies but open a tunneling with commserve, see configuring a client:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# WARNING! This file is automatically generated! Do not make any changes
# to this file, instead edit firewall settings in the Java GUI, or, if you
# would like to make manual adjustments, put them into FwConfigLocal.txt

[general]
keepalive_interval=300
tunnel_init_interval=30
force_incoming_https=0
lockdown=1
proxy=0
bind_open_ports_only=0

# This section describes tunnel server port and the list of additional
# incoming ports that may be open and used to set up efficient data transfer
[incoming]
tunnel_ports=8403

# This section describes outgoing routes
[outgoing]
ecs-mediaagent vsa remote_guid=276CB491-2099-413D-B58B-B85F8A4E1052 type=passive
ecs-mediaagent win-commserve remote_guid=F5CA4897-AA4E-45E5-A857-E18871E45266 type=persistent proto=httpsa cvfwd=11.125.0.117:8403

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this requirement involving the use of a proxy between the client and the commserve mandatory or is it possible to bypass it?

Thks

Dario

icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 12 May 2022, 10:49

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi Dario,

In order to provide full fail over functionality you need to connect everything with the Commserve Instance 002 installations (the SQL clients you mentioned) on both the active and passive Commserve's.
These installations will automatically redirect the connecting client/vsa/etc towards the active Commserve.

You could setup a network topology where all clients are introduced with routes to both commserve their instance 001 installations, but this negates the automation and prevention of connection errors which this manual solution will introduce.

It is a relative small change to alter the network topologies to get everything automated and fail safe for the future, not knowing what development will introduce in the future what might conflict with your manual configuration.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi Dario,

I see where you’re seeing that “requirement”:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/106081_planning_for_commserve_livesync_setup.html

To answer your question, it’s possible to bypass this as a proxy is not required. It’s for one of the two possible connectivity options.

Badge +5

Hi Jos,

thks,

So I should change the communication between the clients and the commserve active and standby.If I understand correctly when I install livesync-DR it automatically creates the 002 instance for me, but how at what level do I make the change using the proxy instead of tunneling?

Dario

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi Dario,

The installation for livesync will automatically create the necessary config, this config ensures all clients will become member of the needed groups automatically.

The only things you need to check after the config is:

- is the failover working, and

- can the clients backup after failover.

If all is working you can disable the current "old" network topology and perform a giveback and check again if backups work.

P.s. the clients will connect to the instance002 using TCP 8408 instead of the default TCP 8403

Badge +5

Hi @Jos Meijer ,

A couple more questions:- For disable the current "old" network topology where do I go to do that?- Can the migration of the current production to Livesync DR be done hot?

Thks

Dario

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi Dario,

It depends, a network topology can be centrally configured at the Network Topologies section:

Or there can be a config on Client Group level, Client group properties - Network - Network Route Configuration.

Or there can be a config on Client level, Client properties - Network - Network Route Configuration.

During the installation the existing Commserve will be added with an additional instance (Instance002) this does not have the requirement to stop services on Instance001. As far as I know the services of Instance001 won’t be stopped and production can be kept active when performing a LiveSync installation afterwards.

FYI, After the installation you will have these new network topologies:

All clients will be automatically placed in this Network Topology / Client Group config (if you enable LiveSync with default settings):

Badge +5

Hi Jos,

I have for client group this configuration :

is it enough to uncheck "Configure Network Route Settings"?
Thks

Dario

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

If outgoing routes also only defines the Commserve then yes, if multiple routes are defined you want to edit the routes and not disable the whole config for this Client Group.

As a reminder, before disabling this make sure the communication is working by checking cvping to active and passive Commserve Instance002 hostname/ip and perform a backup.

Additionally you should be able to see additional firewall lines for clients regarding the instance002 in the fwconfig.txt file located in <Client cv install location\Base check the cvd.log and cvfwd.log as well <cv install location\Logs to see if there are connection errors and tunnel connections have been successfully created.

Badge +5

Hi Jos,

in Outgoing Routes i didn't define anything, so it should be enough to uncheck the configuration.

Ok for reminder.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yes this would be enough based on the provided information 🙂