Solved

CommServe Migration Plan

• 19 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

What is the best migration strategy?

1- Prepare a new machine, with a new IP and new hostname, install and configure everything (it is possible that there will be a problem with licensing, because I don't know if we can have two CommServe instances running at the same time) and after everything is ready, point the clients for that new host?

Or

2- Create a new machine, install and configure all related CommVault services, and on migration day, change that new machine's name and IP to reflect the environment's current CommServe hostname and IP?

Obs.: I remember that I would not like to bring jobs, policies, any configuration of the current CommServe, I would like to configure and review everything from scratch, in order to review the entire current environment and eliminate possible gaps.

I understand that for my case, option number 1 would be the most ideal, but I don't know the complexity of making all the clients that today point to CommServe A (for example) point to CommServe B, on the migration day.

And I also have questions about how to configure jobs, clients, storage and scheduling policies with the current CommServe running (can you configure clients to point to two CommServe at the same time?).

What is the best migration strategy that causes as little disruption to the backup service as possible?

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 19 January 2022, 17:18

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Alexandre Oliveira , what’s your overall goal?  Do you just want to improve the hardware?  If so, follow the below link for a Commserve hardware refresh:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/4739_commserve_hardware_refresh_overview.html

Moving all of the clients to the new CS is much more difficult compared to creating new Policies on the existing CS and slowly moving the clients accordingly (then remove the old stuff when you no longer need it).

Essentially, create all of the new stuff but on the existing CS.  It beats having to manage 2 CommCells with restores, etc.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@Mike Struening, given the complexity of maintaining two CommCell environments in parallel and then joining them again, I will follow your suggestion and migrate to a new virtual machine keeping the same name and IP address. The reason for switching VM is to upgrade OS and take Commvault out of this current OS which is not very good. Therefore, I think about keeping the same IP and the same name, even for licensing reasons. If you have any topic that can help me with this type of migration I'm going to do (the steps I'll need to perform on the current CommCell and on the new VM's CommCell), I'd appreciate it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Glad to hear it.  You’ll be glad you did.  There’s no real documentation about the setup since you’re just restoring an existing db in an isolated network.

Here’s the start of the Commserve DR restore docs, which are really all you’ll need:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/43543_commserve_recovery_using_disaster_recovery_dr_backups.html

The process is the same, it’s just that the second CS is isolated and will never run new backups (you can and should disable all schedules since they can’t actually run):

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/6108_commcell_properties_activity_control.html