Solved

CommServe on Windows Failover Cluster - problem.

Badge +1

Hello, 

We have a problem with CommServe.

We have 2 physical servers.

We’ve 3 instances on each server:

Instance 001 - CS

Instance 002 - CS_failover

Instance 003 - MA

On Windows is configured Windows Faiover Cluster (for GRID, for MediaAgents)

When Windows is member on Windows Faiover Cluster, Commserve Communication will be not established (failed to communicate with Instance 002, 003 on the same server and second server).

Telnet is OK, but chceck readiness and for example Transaction Logs not working.

Nextly, when I restart the server, communication will be OK. But when I restart Instance001 on Process Manager, the problem will reappears.

When we delete Windows from Windows Faiover Cluster, CS looks OK.

Do You know any resolutions? Is this Configuration supported?

Best Regards

Karol

icon

Best answer by Karol L. 23 May 2022, 08:55

View original

6 replies

Badge +1

I forgot:
Windows 2019 Std

Commvault 11.25.28

:) 

Best Regards

Karol

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @Karol L. 

This is not a known or common issue, so more information would be needed to determine the next best steps.

Can you confirm if you have Commserve Live Sync or traditional Log Shipping currently configured?

Note: CommServe LiveSync is not supported when the CommServe server is configured with Microsoft Failover Cluster.

Is your Windows Failover cluster for the Commserve configured as an Active/ Passive SQL AlwaysOn High Availability cluster?
Eg with configuration like: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/96248_installing_server_package_on_sql_alwayson_high_availability_cluster_environment.html

Or an Active-Active Cluster?

With configuration like: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/5031_setting_up_commserve_software_in_active_active_cluster_environment.html

When the services are restarted if the communication between the Commserve and the other two Instances is lost, details from the cvd.log & cvfwd.log. logs between the Commserve (Instance001) and the other client Instances (Instance002 & Instance003) can be confirmed to help narrow down any issue.

The Instance002 & Instance003 cvd ports are going to be 8405 and 8410 respectively (by default) so communication from the CS would need to be confirmed when the issue is occurring.

If you could clarify more detail on the changes being done when you are “deleting Windows from Windows Failover cluster” and any other information or if you have other question on how to set the configuration correctly, you can also reach into support anytime to check for recommendations as well.

Regards,

Sheri

Badge +1

Hello Sheri,

thank You for response.  

I opened the ticked on the support, but I still wait for response :) 

We have:

1. Commserve Live Sync
  2. Cluster with FileServer Role. This cluster is needed to add additional sharing (GRID) on Disk Librares.
  3. On the begining, CV gives a choice, where I want to install SQL: Physical or Clustered (SQL on shared mount path). I checked Physical (traditional installation, SQL on internal disk of the server).
  4. Deleting Windows from Windows Failover cluster: delete node from Failover cluster
  5. When I add node again, the the problem will reappears

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Karol L. . can you share the case number?  I’m not seeing anything recent.

Thanks!

Badge +1

Hi,

I created a ticked on the Polish Support Team. This is probably why you don't see the ticket :)

Because CS Live Sync is not supported on Windows Failover Cluster, we decided create 2 VMs. On this VMs we are going to Install CS and CS Live Sync. On physical servers with Windows Failover Cluster will be only MediaAgent.

Thank You.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Awesome, thanks @Karol L. !  I marked your reply as the best answer so  let me know if we need to add anything else.