Commvault Platform Release 2022E (11.28) is available in Tech Preview

• 24 June 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

By now you have heard about the name change (and if you haven't, click here to get the details from the one and only @Dave Orban ) and know that 11.28 is available in tech preview, but what's really in the release.  As many of you know, my responsibility in PM ranges from Command Center, to the core platform, to all the virtualization technologies, and UX, so ill do my best not to provide a completely self-promoting list of details related to this release.

• CommServe on Linux will be GA on August 15th.   After several years in the making, I am happy to announce that I have removed early adopter status for this capability and can be installed today leveraging the latest bootstrap for CPR2022E/11.28, without any fancy keys or procedures.   Just a couple things to keep in mind:
    • I want to first thank everyone on the community who reached out to me directly and participated in some capacity, to  not only test the install, but the speed and resiliency of CS on Linux.  The feedback driven by those interactions helped me achieve the level of quality and rigor that I promised to the business, so I thank you.
    • The current bootstrap still requires a windows box to pull down the software. Don’t worry, I’m working on this one.
    • New installs only; This is not a permanent decision. I’m working with the team to flush out the best way to get customers whom wish to use Linux for their CS, with very little disruption.   
    • We will continue to close the parity gap to remove any boundaries between choosing the best OS flavor for your business needs.

We made significant strides in the data protection/management areas surrounding cloud native workloads including:

• Complete coverage of your Kubernetes estate with full cluster, namespace, and etcd protection, with significant UI enhancements to meet the scaling needs of our largest customers.  Documentation for Kubernetes was also enhanced to provide greater clarity of capabilities (happy to take direct positive or negative feedback on the work done in that section)
  • Take full advantage of “Table API” for protecting Azure Table Storage and Azure Cosmos DB.
  • Continued innovation in the “Big Data” space, by adding data management support for Couchbase. 
  • For all the security minded folks we have extended change block tracking support for Azure ADE encrypted disks, so you no longer have to choose between security or performance. 

While on the security topic, the file anomaly framework has been enhanced to dig a little deeper into identifying malicious applications that may pose a safe file types that evade traditional detection methods.  This enhancement further aids in identifying and remediating to last known good versions of such files.   In a similar vein, sensitive data governance now supports profiling of object storage for Azure, AWS, and GCP, eliminating a common area of data leakage.  

Those cloud partners received other enhancements within this release, here are the cliff notes:

• Azure
    • Replication group support for Azure Stack Hub to Azure
    • Data management support for locked resources on Azure VMs
  • AWS
    • Cross account restore of Amazon RDS snapshots
    • EBS direct API for Disaster Recovery of VMware VMs
  • GCP
    • Hardware Security Module (HSM) support 
    • Startup script support for compute instances using custom metadata
  • Multi-cloud
    • Replication group support for scaling AWS to Azure VMs
    • Conversion support for Azure Resource Manager VM to GCP instances
    • Conversion support for Hyper-V VM to AWS EC2

This is not an exhaustive list, but we continue to provide the flexibility and mobility of workloads in whoever your choice of cloud(s) or hypervisors may be.

Before this becomes too lengthy, I will drop a “part 2” closer to the GA date to cover any other topics or details, but before I go, ill leave you with some Command Center enhancements that might fly a bit under the radar on any of the newsletters or memos:

• When adding or editing the RPO (backup frequency) there is an “advanced” toggle, that allows you to hardcode the time zone, to CommServe/Client time zone or a specific time zone to provide greater flexibility of runtime.  
  • Further flexibility of start time can be achieved through setting “Job Start Time” on “server groups” and other entities within Command Center.  Check out my reply on this thread for more details.
  • SQL server authentication options can now be configured on the “configuration” tab of a server group, providing more consolidated controls!
  • Approvals for workflows is now under “monitoring > approvals” within Command Center.

Comments, thoughts, concerns, need more details… let me know!

-Michael

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thanks for sharing @MFasulo!