Solved

Commvault restore exchange database

• 2 December 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi, 

I have small problem. 

The client has MS Exchange 2010. Agent backup, once a day, FULL type.

The client tries to perform a test restore of the exchange database, unfortunately, each recovery of the database from the exchange agent (recovery of the database out of place to a file, not to RDB) results in starting the Soft / Hard Recovery process (which for a 4.5GB database takes several minutes, but for the 1TB base it will probably last several hours).

I would like to know if it is possible to restore the database in such a way that the process of repairing the database is not necessary?

We try this method:

If you restore the Exchange database for offline data mining, you do not need to restore the transaction logs.
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/17100_restoring_exchange_databases.html

Unfortunately, this feature does not solve the problem.

A restored database with the Without recovery option also cannot be selected
connect to the Exchange server (system informs about database corruption yes
the same as in the case with unchecked option Without recovery).

Additionally, with the Without recovery option selected, it cannot be repaired
restored database, the system informs about the error:

I will be grateful for further tips.

Kind Regards, 

Kinga 

icon

Best answer by Scott Reynolds 2 December 2021, 18:08

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @kszaf 

The without recovery does not play back the transaction logs which is required to get the database into a consistent state. Without the log files replayed the database is not consistent or probably showing as dirty shutdown state. The logs can take time to reply into a larger DB.

However, if you restore using the without recovery options you should still be able to run a repair on the DB. Have you tried other backup times do you get the same message?

But if you are looking to restore the database, why would you not leverage the with recovery option. Problem without using recovery is you could be missing data if you perform a hard repair.