Solved

Commvault services visible in the network scan tool

Userlevel 4

Hello Commvault Community,

Is it possible to change or hide the name of the service that is visible on commserve that appears when we’re scanning ports with a network scanner? In the attachments there is a screenshot showing exactly what we mean - scanningportbynmaptool.png

Can we rename or hide it instead of "Commvault Webserver"? Will it have an impact on the operation of WebServer - probably Commvault systems refer to it, hence the question.

Thanks for help,
Kamil

icon

Best answer by Sebastien Merluzzi 31 January 2023, 09:29

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good afternoon.  Can you please tell me what Platform Release you are currently on?  The Commvault Web Server normally shows as “TomCat” in scans.  I am reaching out to resources in Development to see if anything has changed.  I will update once I have a response.

Userlevel 4

Hello @Orazan 

The CommCell environment runs on SP24.

Thanks,
Kamil

Userlevel 4

Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas on this topic?

Thanks,
Kamil

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Kamil ,

I know how to change it, as far as I can see, this is not causing any issues but I need to confirm with Development.

I will let you know.

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 4

Hi @Sebastien Merluzzi 

Thanks for the help. I am waiting for further information from Development.

Best Regards,
Kamil

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

HI @Kamil ,

Development confirmed, there should not be any regression changing the text from “Commvault Webserver” in server.xml.

1. Stop the Tomcat Server.

2. Go to software_installation_path/Apache/Conf, and then back up the server.xml file that is part of the Apache configuration.

3. In the server.xml file, replace “Commvault Webserver” by what you would like, for ex “Webserver”. You find it in two places:

<Connector port="80" protocol="HTTP/1.1" connectionTimeout="600000" redirectPort="443" server="WebServer"

SSLEnabled="true" scheme="https" secure="true" server="WebServer"

1. Save the server.xml file
  2. Start Tomcat Server

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 4

Hi @Sebastien Merluzzi 

Thanks a lot for checking that for me.

Kind Regards,
Kamil

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Mmmmm would be nice if this would become the default to make the webserver component less referable to Commvault. 

Userlevel 4

Hello @Sebastien Merluzzi & @Onno van den Berg 

@Onno van den Berg very good point. 

I have an additional question, has anyone checked that, for example that after updating commvault version there are no problems with communication or you have to do it again?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

HI @Onno van den Berg , @Kamil ,

You can raise a CMR and Development will check.

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 4

Hello @Sebastien Merluzzi 

I created a thread in Commvault support as CMR - Incident 230207-406.

Thanks for your help so far.