Solved

Commvault settings precedence / priority at different levels

• 22 December 2021
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hello,

I’m aware that in Commvault, settings at Client level are more important than those at Client Computer Groups or CommCell level. I know that it was mentioned somewhere in docs, but after spending 2 hours on looking for it I gave up. Can someone give me a hand and point where it is?

regards,

Łukasz. 

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 5 January 2022, 19:16

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Job Priorities and Priority Precedence Overview (commvault.com)

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hello MFsaulo, thank you for the link, but this one is about how to set job priority, it means that one jobs can be more important than others.

I;m looking for the section describing behavior, what if you use setting at Agent or Client level which is in conflict to overall Storage Policy or CommCell settings. There was something saying that Client level settings are more important that Client Computer Group ones and the Client Computer Group ones are more important than overall Storage Policy settings, but currently I cannot locate it at Commvault documentation. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

That link and the subsequent child links cover how the system prioritizes jobs via operation type, agents, and clients, priority values.   It sounds like you are looking for priority on some other aspect or detail other than jobs that brings settings from client/SP/group into the mix.   If you can expand on that, I will do best to help.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

That link and the subsequent child links cover how the system prioritizes jobs via operation type, agents, and clients, priority values.   It sounds like you are looking for priority on some other aspect or detail other than jobs that brings settings from client/SP/group into the mix.   If you can expand on that, I will do best to help.  

Hello,

the given link refers to the jobs only. I’m looking for a proof in documentation saying that if you set something at Client level it will override CommCell settings or if you set something at the agent level it will override the Storage Policy settings.  

I’ve seen article like that in the docs a year ago or so. I just though that maybe someone knows exactly where to look for it.

regards,

Łukasz.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Lukas_S , I’ll talk to our documentation team and get that addressed (if it doesn’t exist already).

The doc that @MFasulo posted would be a good place to add this in.

Assuming it doesn’t already exist, I’ll enter an MR in your name.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Lukas_S 

I think this might be what you're looking for: "By default, all activities are enabled at all levels in the CommCell environment. An activity that is enabled at the highest CommCell level can still be disabled at lower levels. For a list of CommCell activities, see List of CommCell Activities."

Expert View

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/6088_activity_control.html

Expert View

and then this is the list of things you can control at each level: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/6100_list_of_commcell_activities.html

Expert View

Let me know if that helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@Lukas_S

I think this might be what you're looking for: "By default, all activities are enabled at all levels in the CommCell environment. An activity that is enabled at the highest CommCell level can still be disabled at lower levels. For a list of CommCell activities, see List of CommCell Activities."

Expert View

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/6088_activity_control.html

Expert View

and then this is the list of things you can control at each level: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/6100_list_of_commcell_activities.html

Expert View

Let me know if that helps!

Thank you Mike, that’s correlated, but referring to activity control only. Propably that’s the articile from the past I was refering to. Anyway it’s still omitting the part about overriding settings at one level by settings on another. If it’s not existing already in the docs, would be possible to add such reference? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yeah, definitely!  If you go to the link, there’s a button showing a little word bubble.  You can use that to add feedback to the document.  Our docs team receives that as a work incident and will make the necessary changes.

If you want, I can create it in your name, though I always encourage everyone leaving feedback as they see areas of improvement :nerd:

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Yeah, definitely!  If you go to the link, there’s a button showing a little word bubble.  You can use that to add feedback to the document.  Our docs team receives that as a work incident and will make the necessary changes.

If you want, I can create it in your name, though I always encourage everyone leaving feedback as they see areas of improvement :nerd:

Thank you Mark, I'll use this button to provide team with a feedback.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ok, great.  I’ll mark the reply with the link as the Best Answer since (once updated) that will be the place to look.

Thanks again!!

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Ok, great.  I’ll mark the reply with the link as the Best Answer since (once updated) that will be the place to look.

Thanks again!!

Great,

thank you Mike for help, I’ve submitted a feedback already.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Great!!!