Configuring Privacy on Group or Plan level

• 1 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi,

Following documentation

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/97847_privacy.html

it’s possible to configure Privacy on Commcell or Company level, but recently customer made a case that this won’t be ideal in their environment and they would rather apply it on user group or plan level. Since documentation doesn’t mention it, I assume it’s not supported, but wanted to ask here anyway in case there is some hidden magic setting that allows it. So I guess the question is: is it possible?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Robert Horowski 

The only other option available is enabling this at a client level, would that suffice?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Emils 

Thank you for your input, but I think I wasn’t clear enough about the idea behind this. The reason behind this is that customer is affraid enabling this at Commcell level would allow all users to turn on privacy on their devices. This can be troublesome for less advanced users who can potentially turn it on without fully knowing what it does. Some of them may also turn on passkey requirements for restore which would be even worse and be a pain to deal with for the IT team, cause at the end of the day end user may turn everything on and call the IT dep that he is unable to restore it’s data, “so please, do it for me, you are the IT”. 

Customer would only want to turn the feature on for users who may potentially require it like the board of directors or finance team so the potential troubles are much more contained. These people could be in a group or separate plan hence the idea for turning it on that level. This is regardless whether people will actually enable it on their devices.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Robert Horowski 

I would recommend reaching out to support to see if we can create an enhancement to suit this need.

Thank you