Solved

Copy jobs to another storage policy or merge storage policies

• 6 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I’m pretty new to the whole Commvault backup software, so please bear if I’m asking a stupid question.

We have a lot of storage policies which we aren’t using anymore for new backups. But these policies contain still a lot of backup jobs until their retention expires. So I wonder if it is possible to either copy these jobs to another policy so that we can delete the old ones, or if it’s possible to merge storage policies somehow?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Ryan Carr 6 July 2021, 11:38

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi M Rider 

Its not possible to move jobs between storage policies. You have to think of each Storage Policy as a book with jobs being written onto the pages.

You could look to create a secondary copy of the data and consolidate the jobs for each Storage Policy  onto a new copy with its own specific retention and remove the jobs from your primary copy.

Link is below on our documentation explaining how our secondary copies work 

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=13900.htm

Badge +1

Thanks for your reply. The retention settings on the backup jobs are just fine. 
So what I understand from what you are writing, is that we j have do wait ‘til the retentions are expired and then we can safely delete the storage policy itself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s correct!