Solved

Copy Software fails with "No packages or updates were found in folder"

• 1 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Just patched from v11SP14 to v11SP16HPK141 and I want to get that patch (141) into my software cache so I can push it out to clients.  I go through the traditional steps for a system with no internet connectivity:

Downloaded Maintenance Release from CommVault Store

Add/Remove Hardware

Copy Software

Copy Software From Location : Browse and select directory from extracted v11SP16_Available_21Jan_WinX64 file

fails with :Error Code: [68:481]
Description: No packages or updates were found in folder [].
Source: {comserver name}, Process: DownloadSoftware

this directory is the exact directory that I extracted and then used to patch to 141 on my server so I know the files are valid.

I have noticed that there are no payload related xml files like in previous patches. 

Any help appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 1 March 2022, 21:25

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Daniel Finn , what level are you pointing to?  The issue there is usually that you’re pointing to the folder above or below where the tool wants to look.

Badge +1

Thanks for the quick reply Mike.  I point to the D:\Downloads\v11SP16_Available_21Jan_WinX64 which is where the executable extracted to.  The files/directories in this directory are:

In older packages I noticed that there was a BinaryInfo.xml in the “root” directory of their install package directory that seemed to inform of all the files in the payload directories.  This xml file no longer seems to be in any of the Maintenance Releases for 16 that I downloaded.  (upon failure of 141 I started working backwards with older MRs in an attempt to get them to load as well)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Is that only the hotfix?  I was able to find an incident where someone was trying to copy a hotfix for SP16 to the cache, but the cache didn’t have SP16 in place, so we were not able to add just the hotfix.

Can you ensure/add SP16 to the software cache, then retry?

Badge +3

@Daniel Finn  Hi Daniel, unfortunately you will need to download a Full package using the BootStrapper. 

The BootStrapper is a tool to further download the actual Commvault Installation package. 

Here is the link to download the tool that will be used to download the actual Commvault Installation Package:

https://ma.commvault.com/ESD?fv=11.0&esdID=1324#packageDownload 

You would first download the 20.2MB BootStrapper tool. It would appear here: 

This will then need to be installed/extracted. (Install is the only option with this 20 MB file. It will use the phrase “Download Manager will extract installer files to the following folder.” Leave all options as the default options.)

The next GUI will present the option to:
1: Install packages on this computer.
2: Download Packages to install on a different Computer.

You will want to select option #2.

Subsequently there will be an option to use media for…
1.            New Installation
2.            Upgrades

3.            Service Pack Installation.

Always choose #1. (This package will allow upgrades and also contains the current Service Pack.)

The last option would allow you to select the specific Hotfixpack. (Manually select the 2nd option for the specific hotfix, which is currently at 145.)

After this is downloaded 100%, it should be about >8GB in size. 

You can then use the CopyToCache tool and point to the folder that contains the setup.exe. 

Hope this helps. 

Badge +1

Is that only the hotfix?  I was able to find an incident where someone was trying to copy a hotfix for SP16 to the cache, but the cache didn’t have SP16 in place, so we were not able to add just the hotfix.

Can you ensure/add SP16 to the software cache, then retry?

This did the trick, I should have started with the fact I’m an utter CommVault novice.  I hadn’t put the SP16 into the cache, once I did, everything is now functioning as it should.  

Thank you all for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

All good, @Daniel Finn !  this is a great place for novices to turn into Pros!!