Solved

Custom tags on azure backup

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi,

I’m working with a customer that has an azure policy set that enforces all resources created has a set of custom tags during creation. This stops the VSA of creating a snapshot as expected.

Cannot see anything from the documentation on this, but are the Commvault backup process able to set a set of custom tags on the snapshot during backup? 

Or would they require to disable this policy for snapshots? 

icon

Best answer by wgrande 18 August 2022, 23:08

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m wondering if the policy is stopping the VSA from adding tags?  What kind of error message do you see?

Might be worth a support case, though I’d like to see what we can figure out here as well.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi Mike, 

The policy does not stop the VSA from adding tags, it stops a resource without the custom tags to be created.

The error messages indicate that a snapshot is not being able to be created due to the customer required tags are needed. In fact there are multiple different tags they require, including department and company. Some of these are inherited if empty, but another (facilitator) is required on the resource to be allowed to be created.

These tags are not the ones set by commvault, and we do successfully backup the vm if we set the policy to audit (for the facilitator tag which are missing) and still require the inherited ones.

The question still applies, are we able to define a set of custom tags to push when creating the snapshot, in addition to the tags commvault currently adds, to be able to adhere to the local policy.

Or do I have to tell the customer to exclude snapshots from this policy. Same rules will also apply on restores, haven’t yet tested if tags are protected/restored from customer VM. Customer has these rules to ensure that all resources are being billed to the correct department and could also be using this for other usecases as well.

As a supportcase goes, its not really needed as the error is customer configuration of azure teanant. I do know why it errors and how to resolve it by setting policy in audit mode for the time beeing. 

If we currently do not have the ability to set custom tags, I will work with customer to see if we can work around the policy requirements.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

John, by the sound of it there are two additional settings that might be able to help you with this situation.

bAzureCopyVMTagsToSnapshot (Virtual Server / Integer / 1)- This key is used to enable the copying of all VM tags to managed streaming snapshots of that VM's disks, at snapshot creation time.

sVMTagsToCopyList ( Virtual Server / STRING / Add each tag ((Example: [tag1, tag2])) - A comma delimited white list of an owning VM tags to copy to a child entity. Examples of child entities include snapshots, disks, network interfaces, etc

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

@wgrande Thanks. I will check these.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

This solved my issue. The snapshots are now assigned the correct tags, as long as the VM has it as well.