Solved

CV snapshot in netapp array is not automatically removed once new backup run.

• 14 January 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have issue that the CV snapshot on our netapp array is not automatically removed and it causing to overflow the snapshot reserved and taking the actual of NAS space.

can you share how we can fix it.

icon

Best answer by jgeorges 14 January 2021, 08:22

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi Arnold,

Could you please let us know if this is Intellisnap backup and what is the type of backup agent? i.e VSA, NAS NDMP etc.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

intellisnap NAS NDMP sir. thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hey Arnold,

Thanks for the clarification.

When we take an NDMP Backup with Intellisnap, the snapshot is retained for the life of the snap backup. Once the Snap Backup job reaches its retention, the delete request is sent and the snapshot pruned from storage. 

If it were a streaming NDMP Backup, we still use the snapshot engine to ‘quiesce’ the file system and perform the backup, however this snapshot is cleared on completion of the backup phase of the job.

Can you confirm if your finding that old snapshots are being retained beyond the intellisnap backup job retention? And are you seeing successfull job completion (more specifically, are you seeing jobs ‘Completed w/ Errors’)?

Thanks
Jase

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Can you confirm if your finding that old snapshots are being retained beyond the intellisnap backup job retention? And are you seeing successfull job completion (more specifically, are you seeing jobs ‘Completed w/ Errors’)?

Thanks
Jase

Thanks Jase - I think that is the key piece to work out here. Snaps are tied to jobs on the Commvault side. If the snaps still exist but the jobs do not, that is different from troubleshooting why the job is still around and holding the snap. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

I have issue that the CV snapshot on our netapp array is not automatically removed and it causing to overflow the snapshot reserved and taking the actual of NAS space.

can you share how we can fix it.

Check the retention on the snaps. Also, are you making a backup copy to the a Media agent or another destination? Without that completed the snap will not remove. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

One more thing to check Arnold, look in CVMA log on the MAs and see if there are any errors deleting snaps. Occasionally we see customers who can successfully create, mount and read snaps however permissions on the array prevents CV’s credentials from deleting the snaps (even after jobs have met retention / copy requirements and have aged off).